LJANE29
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can somebody clarify the prose essay question when it says by referring to appropriate techniques
Is that tone, scene language etc.
Thanks
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The SQA have identified the following as the main techniques they are looking for:-
characterisation, setting, key incident(s), narrative technique, symbolism, structure, climax, plot, atmosphere, dialogue, imagery.

There is no way you would be expected to comment on all of these techniques. It is up to you to deceide which techniques you believe are most
important.

When commenting on the techniques it is imperative that to show how that technique drives forward the writer's theme and narrative.
Some examples:-
a) If character. How does the kind of person the character is drive forward the narrative and theme.
b) If Imagery. How does the image highlight the authors narrative and theme.
c) If structure. How does the way the novel is put together - I mean here the order that the sections of the novel are linked together - how does that order highlight the writer's and theme and narrative of the novel.

And so on.

The important point to remember is that everything you say about the techniques you have chosen must focus on how that technique drives
forward the writer's themes and narrative. It must not be about the technique itself.

On a personal note I apologise for the layout of my answer. The editor is no longer - as far as I can see - a " what you see is what you get" editor. The layout abve was not how I saw it when writing this response.
LJANE29
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by jamesg2)
The SQA have identified the following as the main techniques they are looking for:-
characterisation, setting, key incident(s), narrative technique, symbolism, structure, climax, plot, atmosphere, dialogue, imagery.

There is no way you would be expected to comment on all of these techniques. It is up to you to deceide which techniques you believe are most
important.

When commenting on the techniques it is imperative that to show how that technique drives forward the writer's theme and narrative.
Some examples:-
a) If character. How does the kind of person the character is drive forward the narrative and theme.
b) If Imagery. How does the image highlight the authors narrative and theme.
c) If structure. How does the way the novel is put together - I mean here the order that the sections of the novel are linked together - how does that order highlight the writer's and theme and narrative of the novel.

And so on.

The important point to remember is that everything you say about the techniques you have chosen must focus on how that technique drives
forward the writer's themes and narrative. It must not be about the technique itself.

On a personal note I apologise for the layout of my answer. The editor is no longer - as far as I can see - a " what you see is what you get" editor. The layout abve was not how I saw it when writing this response.
Thank you so much for the reply.
You have helped me about and made things clear.
Very much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.5%
I'm not sure (46)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (29)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (515)
48.82%

Watched Threads