Kat151515
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have my drama GCSE on Wednesday (10th May) and I'm honestly dreading it. I know near enough all of my lines, but my group keep changing different parts of my scene and from this I have been learning different lines each week! I'm loosing patients with them all and I don't want to do the drama exam anymore because I lack in confidence and I feel like I'm going to ruin it for everyone!! Any suggestions?
Adelle21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kat151515)
I have my drama GCSE on Wednesday (10th May) and I'm honestly dreading it. I know near enough all of my lines, but my group keep changing different parts of my scene and from this I have been learning different lines each week! I'm loosing patients with them all and I don't want to do the drama exam anymore because I lack in confidence and I feel like I'm going to ruin it for everyone!! Any suggestions?
As a fellow drama student, I know it's a nightmare when people keep changing the script! At some point before your assessment, you need to say to your group that you can't keep having the script changed otherwise no one will understand what's going on, and you'll all have your grade impacted. With three days to go you can't afford to keep changing the script.
As for actually learning the script, what I'd recommend is reading through the whole thing, not just your own lines. It will take longer, obviously, but you get out of this what you put in. By reading the whole thing you'll make sure you know the order of the scenes, and this will be useful when you're performing.
Once you've got a feel for the flow of the scenes, read through your own scenes out loud. It makes it so much easier to memorise your lines! Make sure you are doing any acting skills (e.g. gestures, movement) that you will be doing in the final piece. Also, I'd recommend reading the other characters' lines that are in any of your scenes. For example if you and another character are having a conversation, read out both parts of the conversation, or ask a friend to do it for you. I find that this is more helpful than it sounds, because it makes you memorise the flow of the script because you know the lines of others in your group.
In the actual performance, you just have to ensure that you stay in character. This is because your mark is determined by your own acting rather than the acting of the whole group. If someone else forgets their line, improvise. Improvise a line that is similar to theirs, something that might jog their memory, and is relevant to the script. I know that it's very pressuring but an awkward silence will get everyone a lower grade.
I hope that this was helpful and wish you luck on your performance
rocma212
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey i already passed my gcse in march and i had the same feeling as you, you just have to ask your group to do the performance as many time as you can and my advises are the same as the previous girl with my group we stayed everyday after school to do it and sometimes we went to school in saturday. ask your drama teacher as well to have a look at your piece of theatre, there is just three days left and drama for you is done you just have to do it.
as a group write your whole script, remember your lines and say them louder, remember each other lines.
best of luck on your exam.
dogears
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to tell your group you don't want them changing the script. And everyone's going to be in the same shoes when it comes to the exam don't worry about it.
dramaqueen2805
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did mine in march and I can safely say that you aren't alone in your feelings towards your group. After a long amount of time working with each other you are going to get on each other's nerves. Mine quite literally broke a number of friendships. (Not helpful, I know) However, have an open ended conversation with your group, changing things this close to performance is going to make you all look under rehearsed.

If it doesn't work then just focus on you. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher for personal notes on your specific performance and try to infuse meaning in to every movement and line that you have. Don't be afraid to relax a bit either, if you've put in the work you'll get the grade (and red bull works a treat for nerves!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.64%
No (434)
66.36%

Watched Threads