lunarscope
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I want to study medicine at university so I'm wondering if taking 4 a-levels is worth the risk in order to stand out competitively? I would like to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History.
Thanks
supremebeatle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing my AS levels currently and am currently studying 4 (Maths, Psychology, Chemistry and Biology). Yes, most people take 3 A-Levels but honestly, as far as I know basically all of the people that take 4 A-Levels and then drop one end up doing the exact same amount of work as they did before only doing 3 because they just waste more time. If you're capable of 4 do them because as much as people say it's not necessary it probably does in fact stand out - especially if you do well. But if you struggle with the workload, drop History if you want to study medicine. For me, the workload isn't actually that bad - Maths is fine once you get the hang of it (even doing mechanics!) and the other 3 just take some revision and practice questions. 4 only sounds like a lot because most people do 3 but if you don't waste time in frees or procrastinate *too* often (because everyone is guilty of that) I'm sure you'll be fine. This is coming from an AS student though, lord knows what A2 will be like haha. Now taking 5 A-Levels is a whole different story - I know a few people who have tried and it's close to impossible. But yeah, think of it not as a risk but as a challenge. Doing 4 A-Levels will not lead to failure - not putting the work in will.
StationToStation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Doing 4 would give you little, if any, advantage. Whether you think it's worth it anyway is your call really - spending the extra time ensuring you get the grades and smashing the admissions tests and interviews might be more useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.74%
No (432)
66.26%

Watched Threads