The Student Room Group

Tips to find great scholarship!

Original post by RacerBoy
Hello,

I’m new to scholarship, but recently I read so much on that topic. Because next year I want to get my scholarship I only wanted to give you some great actual tips, that work.

Unfortunately there is so much information on that topic and people will get confused.

So many organization that offer that!

Ok, here are some of my tips that I wanted to help you with:

1. Apply for local scholarships

Many communities offer local scholarships organizations, small businesses, and so on. To do this search for:

scholarship + “your city”
2. Apply forscholarships that offer less money

Many students look for scholarships that offer more money, but there your competition is much more. It you stick to local scholarship that offer less money, your chances are much more high.

3. Avoid scholarship scams.

Many sites offer scam scholarship to promote their sites In most of the cases scams are obvious. Here is a great article on how to avoid scholarship scams. Read carefully their points.

4 Pick scholarships that require more work.

This is another great way to increase your chances and decrease the competition. Many people will avoid working a lot. Of course, the point is to focus on 10 great and legit scholarship opportunities instead of spamming with your application many sites.

Do you have more tips, let’s discuss them here.

Moved to Student Financial Support
Reply 1
Original post by RacerBoy
Hello,

I’m new to scholarship, but recently I read so much on that topic. Because next year I want to get my scholarship I only wanted to give you some great actual tips, that work.

Unfortunately there is so much information on that topic and people will get confused.

So many organization that offer that!

Ok, here are some of my tips that I wanted to help you with:

1. Apply for local scholarships

Many communities offer local scholarships organizations, small businesses, and so on. To do this search for:

scholarship + “your city”
2. Apply forscholarships that offer less money

Many students look for scholarships that offer more money, but there your competition is much more. It you stick to local scholarship that offer less money, your chances are much more high.

3. Avoid scholarship scams.

Many sites offer scam scholarship to promote their sites In most of the cases scams are obvious. Here is a great article on how to avoid scholarship scams. Read carefully their points.

4 Pick scholarships that require more work.

This is another great way to increase your chances and decrease the competition. Many people will avoid working a lot. Of course, the point is to focus on 10 great and legit scholarship opportunities instead of spamming with your application many sites.

Do you have more tips, let’s discuss them here.

Be aware that this is a UK-based board and all of the above only applies to the US.

There isn't an undergraduate scholarship culture around UK unis as described above, mainly because UK/EU residents have access to the state Student Finance system. Scholarships in the UK are usually token amounts, offered by individual unis for things like academic, sporting or musical excellence. Most unis will also give a non-repayable bursary to undergrads from low-income households, but this is intended to top up Student Finance loans rather than replace them, and will again be a lower amount.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88

There isn't an undergraduate scholarship culture around UK unis as described above, mainly because UK/EU residents have access to the state Student Finance system. Scholarships in the UK are usually token amounts, offered by individual unis for things like academic, sporting or musical excellence. Most unis will also give a non-repayable bursary to undergrads from low-income households, but this is intended to top up Student Finance loans rather than replace them, and will again be a lower amount.

This isn't 100% true. There are actually more and more scholarships which are open to students at any university offered by companies, local authorities, charities, trusts, industry associations and professional bodies, but the awareness around them is still low. True, there aren't nearly as many as there are in the US, but they do exist and applications are surprisingly low, with deadlines often being extended because they don't have enough applicants. There are also some undergraduate scholarships which pay significant amounts of money too, not just token amounts. https://www.thescholarshiphub.org.uk/blog/scholarships-which-are-not-tied-specific-universities
Original post by Tencas
This isn't 100% true. There are actually more and more scholarships which are open to students at any university offered by companies, local authorities, charities, trusts, industry associations and professional bodies, but the awareness around them is still low. True, there aren't nearly as many as there are in the US, but they do exist and applications are surprisingly low, with deadlines often being extended because they don't have enough applicants. There are also some undergraduate scholarships which pay significant amounts of money too, not just token amounts. https://www.thescholarshiphub.org.uk/blog/scholarships-which-are-not-tied-specific-universities

There's a scholarship on that website exclusively for vegetarians

Quick Reply

Latest