The Student Room Group

Parents relationship status

When applying for student finance I put my parent as seperated but I'm not sure if that's correct,my dad has a girlfriend (not my mum) but doesn't live with her but they've never been married and my mum isn't here anymore,so if I've done it wrong how do I update this since it doesn't appear to be listed on things you can change on the application?
Original post by MatthewP15
When applying for student finance I put my parent as seperated but I'm not sure if that's correct,my dad has a girlfriend (not my mum) but doesn't live with her but they've never been married and my mum isn't here anymore,so if I've done it wrong how do I update this since it doesn't appear to be listed on things you can change on the application?

that's correct as your dad's partner doesnt live with him, you just need to prove they are separated and you only live with your dad.

Hi Matthew,

We would only require your dad's income information and proof of separation/divorce. As he is not cohabiting with his partner, we won't require her income information.

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Chris SFE
Hi Matthew,

We would only require your dad's income information and proof of separation/divorce. As he is not cohabiting with his partner, we won't require her income information.

Thanks

They were never married (my parents) so I have no proof they were married and have seperated and he hasn't been married to his current girlfriend so what do I do?
They were never married (my parents) so I have no proof they were married and have seperated and he hasn't been married to his current girlfriend so what do I do?

If he's the only adult in your household then he should be getting a discount on his council tax - you can send a letter from the council confirming that he gets "single person discount" for the house to SFE to prove he is single.

The other alternative is a letter from a solicitor but that will usually cost money to source.

Hi Matthew,

As your fathers girlfriend is not living in the household we would only request your fathers financial details to be provided. If your father has a council tax bill showing 25% single occupancy, we can certainly accept this as proof.

Thanks

Mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending