Maintaining the Thatcherite Legacy

Watch
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Mrs May,

As a fellow member of the Conservative Party, I thank you for your work at broadening the party's appeal (which is very apparent to me when I canvass people on the streets, and gauge their responses, compared to my experiences 2 years ago under Mr Cameron.)

My question though, is this;

Your general election promises so far have indicated a moderate rise in taxation and government spending, which I personally disagree with, in particular the 0.7% International Aid commitment, the mooted rises in VAT and maintainance of the triple lock on state pensions.

Will you balance this with a low tax, small government approach in other areas, honouring Mrs Thatcher's legacy, if you win a second term as Prime Minister?
sylviexo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey! Just wanted to know why you think ol' Maggie was so great?
Connor27
Rep:
?
(Original post by sylviexo)
Hey! Just wanted to know why you think ol' Maggie was so great?
Fantastic reforms of the military; educational reforms which created real opportunities and social mobility; bringing the country back from the brink in the winter of discontent and turning us into a financial powerhouse that eventually joined the G7; ending the outdated post-war consensus; destroying the power of the self-interest groups, especially the undemocratic, collectivist scourge that is the trade unions; excellent foreign policy that preserved the will of the Falkland Islanders in terms of sovereignty; she also gave the Republic of Ireland a say in the affairs of NI with the Anglo-Irish agreement, which paved the way for the peace process under Major.

So, TL;DR: pretty much everything she did.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Fantastic reforms of the military; educational reforms which created real opportunities and social mobility; bringing the country back from the brink in the winter of discontent and turning us into a financial powerhouse that eventually joined the G7; ending the outdated post-war consensus; destroying the power of the self-interest groups, especially the undemocratic, collectivist scourge that is the trade unions; excellent foreign policy that preserved the will of the Falkland Islanders in terms of sovereignty; she also gave the Republic of Ireland a say in the affairs of NI with the Anglo-Irish agreement, which paved the way for the peace process under Major.

So, TL;DR: pretty much everything she did.
I'm not denying that she was great and there are aspects of her which make her tolerable (albeit to not such a great extent), but I'm worried that you're blinded by her skills as a leader. You seem to forget that she was a polarizing figure. You push forward the narrative of her improving social mobility and turning us into a financial powerhouse. She virtually doubled VAT to 15% and sold state assets at an undervalued price as supposed to investing in the country's future - how was that in any way good for working class people and social mobility? She proposed poll taxes despite it being a bad idea and opposed sanctions against apartheid South Africa suggesting she didn't care for others but rather had some sort of vindictive mission. You should also take into account how her own party gave her the boot. Arguably, the only good thing she did for this country was her approach to the Falklands.

So, TL;DR: She was many things. A good Prime Minister she was not.
Connor27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Conceited)
I'm not denying that she was great and there are aspects of her which make her tolerable (albeit to not such a great extent), but I'm worried that you're blinded by her skills as a leader. You seem to forget that she was a polarizing figure. You push forward the narrative of her improving social mobility and turning us into a financial powerhouse. She virtually doubled VAT to 15% and sold state assets at an undervalued price as supposed to investing in the country's future - how was that in any way good for working class people and social mobility? She proposed poll taxes despite it being a bad idea and opposed sanctions against apartheid South Africa suggesting she didn't care for others but rather had some sort of vindictive mission. You should also take into account how her own party gave her the boot. Arguably, the only good thing she did for this country was her approach to the Falklands.

So, TL;DR: She was many things. A good Prime Minister she was not.
The Poll tax was a negative, I do concede that, it's a perfect example of what happens when a prime minister has been in power so long with a landslide majority and very little scrutiny, they make a mess; see also Blair and Iraq.

With regard to VAT, you are forgetting that she lowered income tax by 23% in the top rate and 3% in the basic rate; considering we were taking the NHS as a given, the rises in VAT were necessary, VAT is better than income tax after all, being a consumption tax.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
Without Baroness Thatcher, we would not have the masterpieces Billy Elliot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (26)
14.13%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (53)
28.8%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
40.76%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.59%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.72%

Watched Threads