Could anyone tell me some good/bad things the Tories have done since they've been in? Watch

This discussion is closed.
BatmanRH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
... Since 2010. Currently I don't think I can vote Conservative due to all of the cuts and rise of higher education
univ4464
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Brexit
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Computer science as part of the National Curriculum replacing that pathetic and boring ICT.

I don't trust Labour with upholding this subject.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BatmanRH)
... Since 2010. Currently I don't think I can vote Conservative due to all of the cuts and rise of higher education
Without cuts how are you supposed to cut a deficit of 120 billion a year back then? That doesn't even include the interest payments on debt.

It's called living in the real world.

If you think cuts shouldn't continue is a different matter, they absolutely had to be done back then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cognition!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Called a snap general election for personal gain.

Edit- Just came across this.
Chichaldo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hmm...

• Switching allegiance from remain to leave (for power?) then to a hard Brexit stance? Reversing on her decision on a snap election (due to wanting Conservative power and not for the good of the country or due to 30 Conservative MPs being possibly prosecuted for misuse of election funds (seldom being reported in the main media)
  • A hard Brexit stance thinking we can take all the good and leave all the drawbacks of the EU with a lovely deal, she has already angered EU leaders and when she says 'no deal is better than a bad deal', her stance is more likely to leave us with a huge gap in our economy by breaking from the EU with nothing
  • The Bed Room Tax, can cost people upwards of £1,500 extra a year, affecting people who live in social housing or the Supreme Court case that affected people who could not sleep in the same room due to severe medical conditions, the poorer cannot afford to move or there's no availability making the unwarranted tax unavoidable for some
  • A lack of action against people with offshore accounts
  • Hunt's treatment of junior doctors
  • Removal of housing benefits for 18-21 year-olds
  • Benefit caps
  • Rising tuition fees
  • Comprehensive school cuts or lack of funding to promote May's grammar schools that decrease social mobility and give the financially struggling family's children a disadvantage from an early age
  • Cuts on disability benefits
  • Legal aid cuts
  • Trading arms for the profit of ourselves with Saudi Arabia
  • U-turns, continuously said we would not have a snap election, but here we are! How can we trust what she says?
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Psychoactive Substances Act 2016
univ4464
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by paul514)
Without cuts how are you supposed to cut a deficit of 120 billion a year back then? That doesn't even include the interest payments on debt.

It's called living in the real world.

If you think cuts shouldn't continue is a different matter, they absolutely had to be done back then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Increase taxes instead of reducing taxes for the richest organisations? It is the large corporations and free market capitalism that caused the 2008 crash, so why should there be further cuts that effect the normal people who had nothing to do with the crash so that the large institutions can fail to try and prove their blatantly flawed ideology? The conservatives can pretend to be the party of common sense but their allegiance to the rich is obvious and not good for society.
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
+ Legalised gay marriage (though 2/3rds of the tories opposed this, so I'd credit cameron with that more than the conservatives).
- Financially kneecapped the NHS
- Cut spending and benefits for the mentally ill and the physicaly disabled
- Cut funding to the fire brigade and the police
- Cut funding to education.
- Increased tuition fees.
- Vastly increased the national debt.
- Allowed the brexit referendum without having any sort of plan in place for the possibility that the Uk would actually vote to leave the EU
username2324315
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Arran90)
Computer science as part of the National Curriculum replacing that pathetic and boring ICT.

I don't trust Labour with upholding this subject.
Wait.... you're saying Computer Science is exciting? Are you feeling ok?
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alfredholmes)
Increase taxes instead of reducing taxes for the richest organisations? It is the large corporations and free market capitalism that caused the 2008 crash, so why should there be further cuts that effect the normal people who had nothing to do with the crash so that the large institutions can fail to try and prove their blatantly flawed ideology? The conservatives can pretend to be the party of common sense but their allegiance to the rich is obvious and not good for society.
Gee that would be nice if the world worked like that unfortunately it doesn't and when corporation tax has been lowered tax receipts have raised as the incentive to move profits offshore is lowered. It has also provided a boost for investment and jobs.

If you are going to assert something like you just did it should have a basis to it and if you actually looked at the figures that standpoint can only be seen as a moral one and not an economic one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
univ4464
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by paul514)
Gee that would be nice if the world worked like that unfortunately it doesn't and when corporation tax has been lowered tax receipts have raised as the incentive to move profits offshore is lowered. It has also provided a boost for investment and jobs.

If you are going to assert something like you just did it should have a basis to it and if you actually looked at the figures that standpoint can only be seen as a moral one and not an economic one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suppose the problem I have is that I don't see the benefits of this stronger economy that the Conservatives don't stop talking about. I didn't feel the need to look up the figures because I can tell from my daily experience that what they claim isn't a reality, at least for me. The benefits of investment and jobs, must be therefore disproportionately in favour of the rich if this stronger economy does exist - so higher taxes would be better from an economic standpoint when the benefits of wealth distribution are considered. Your argument is clear from the perspective of one business, in a stationary economy - but if the economy is going to continue to grow then higher taxes is clearly a better deficit reducing technique than strangling public services, which are essential for a strong, functional country.

- also one can go on any left website to find figures that the conservatives haven't done very well in dealing with the deficit. Such statistics seem to imply that the deficit is used as a political tool to justify the frankly immoral cuts which they impose to benefit their donors. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6947661.html
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alfredholmes)
I suppose the problem I have is that I don't see the benefits of this stronger economy that the Conservatives don't stop talking about. I didn't feel the need to look up the figures because I can tell from my daily experience that what they claim isn't a reality, at least for me. The benefits of investment and jobs, must be therefore disproportionately in favour of the rich if this stronger economy does exist - so higher taxes would be better from an economic standpoint when the benefits of wealth distribution are considered. Your argument is clear from the perspective of one business, in a stationary economy - but if the economy is going to continue to grow then higher taxes is clearly a better deficit reducing technique than strangling public services, which are essential for a strong, functional country.

- also one can go on any left website to find figures that the conservatives haven't done very well in dealing with the deficit. Such statistics seem to imply that the deficit is used as a political tool to justify the frankly immoral cuts which they impose to benefit their donors. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6947661.html
The debt has actually risen a lot more than your link says.

Just because you feel you haven't seen the benefits of this economy doesn't mean they don't exist the data doesn't lie.

You then assert two things without evidence

1, that the wealth has all disproportionally gone to the rich - I agree most of it has but that's always the way it goes in a capitalist economy those who have a bigger share of the pie already will gain more wealth as that pie grows.....

2, that raising taxes will help us pay for services and reduce the deficit when the opposite has been shown already as I pointed out in my last reply to you.

Don't forget we are the second fasting growing economy in the G7 and our deficit is now down to 3% it's dropped 20 billion in the last year alone even with all the pre and post brexit uncertainty.

By all means vote for left wing policy's on a moral basis just don't pretend to yourself it has an economic basis when you haven't trawled through the facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NoPunInThisName
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As much as reducing the deficit and making cuts (even as a Labour voter) is totally understandable, the manner is in which it's been done is constantly over-looked.

People will say this, that and the other but that hasn't stopped local community services been closed down, hikes in public transport prices, cuts in education, rises in Tuition fees and don't get me started on the disgusting way the DWP & JCP classify people, some who are quite evidently not fit to work, as "fit to work".

Yeah, we're reducing the deficit and making cuts for the long-term benefit of Britain, hip-hip-hooray, but wait... how are we doing it? We're generally screwing people, especially vulnerable individuals, and some communities well and truly over.

But it's okay, because we're the second fastest growing economy in the G7, and that's what seems to truly matter...
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Raising income tax threshold at the low end helped put money in people's pockets, same with the freeze in council tax.
JD742
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The London riots
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zhog)
Raising income tax threshold at the low end helped put money in people's pockets, same with the freeze in council tax.
They coupled a very long council tax freeze with cuts to the budgets they get from central government leaving big funding gaps, overall I am not sure that could be called a positive.
Richard.T
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll give you an idea of what they have done...
Higher taxes for the poor.
Underfunded the NHS.
Underfunded social care for the people who need it the most.
Underfunded educational service.
Underfunded infrastructure.
Won't debate in General Election debates as she is scared of the Labour Party.
Responds to every question with "Strong and stable economy" which is ironic as everything is underfunded.
An increase in child poverty.
An increase in homelessness.
Reinforcing the Rich and poor divide.
Wants a hard and difficult Brexit

I plead for everyone to vote labour for this election!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BatmanRH)
The Tories have done good in..

Increased the tax threshold
Ended grade inflation
Engaged in air strikes on Libya and Syria
Reduced the deficit from 10.4% of GDP to 2.9% of GDP.
Overseen moderate economic growth from 2013 onward.
Overseen record highs in employment.
Passing the Snoopers charter which substantially increases the scope of our intelligence services
Opposed taking refugees and kept us out of that horrid EU quota.
Are going to take us out of the ECJ and customs union.

What they have done badly..

Badger Cull
Incompetent implementation of welfare policy - Disability reviews and spare room subsidy policies are good things but were done horribly.
From a PR point of view they should never have allowed job centers to refer people to food banks, it has given Labour a stick to beat them with even though these people existed before 2010.
Although i commend them for making internal cuts within the NHS we are reaching a point where A&E is starting to struggle and waiting times are increasing. They have not been aggressive enough in stripping away waste within the NHS.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Limiting it to bad things because I'm biased against the Conservatives and it's easier.

They claimed before 2010 they would be the "greenest government ever". Their government then:

Relaxed planning regulations
Tried to sell off the public forests
Made a scientifically illiterate climate change denier (Owen Paterson) environment secretary
Opposed the EU's ban on neonicotinoid pesticides (due to lobbying by the pesticide companies themselves)
Refused to ban carbofuran, a poison with no legal use and which is used by some gamekeepers to illegally kill birds of prey (possession itself is illegal in Scotland, but not in the rest of the UK, even though its use is illegal)
Responded to the Somerset flooding with dredging of rivers, which damages the river habitat and can actually make flooding worse
Given tax incentives to fracking companies, while cutting renewable subsides because we supposedly can't afford it

Aside from all this, they've handed the welfare system horribly, with unfair benefits sanctions that leave unemployed people without money being widespread (something like half of all sanctions are overturned on appeal), as well as workfare (basically forced labour) which was ruled unlawful by the courts.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (85)
23.1%
The paper was reasonable (169)
45.92%
Not feeling great about that exam (69)
18.75%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
12.23%

Watched Threads