Could anyone tell me some good/bad things the Tories have done since they've been in? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
There's actually little risk of people defaulting once interest rates rise given that defaults and mortgage arrears are at historic lows. Your right that it won't end well though (though your point is a bit too party political).
You're confusing cause and effect. Arrears and defaults are only at historic lows because interest rates have been frozen at the bottom for the longest period on record. That can't last and it won't. As soon as they spike upwards (perhaps not too long in the future now) all the interest-only and teetering buy to let propositions will fall over and there will be very large numbers of defaulters, particularly against the background of the contracting economy that looks almost inevitable in Brexit conditions.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
You're confusing cause and effect. Arrears and defaults are only at historic lows because interest rates have been frozen at the bottom for the longest period on record. That can't last and it won't. As soon as they spike upwards (perhaps not too long in the future now) all the interest-only and teetering buy to let propositions will fall over and there will be very large numbers of defaulters, particularly against the background of the contracting economy that looks almost inevitable in Brexit conditions.
I understand cause an effect however what i contend with is that increased interest rates will cause a wave of defaults. This may be the case if interest rates increase to 5%, but not a couple of points out to 2022.

That's not going well so far for you..
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fleky6910)
Yes they did.Cuts were made by republicans, those investements were made in 08/09, Again see the chart.

+the stimulus' success is highly debatable.
Let's agree to disagree. We're never going to come to agreement on this.
Joshua Lancer
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can broadly speaking divide post WW2 history into the Keynesian and neoliberal era. Not only did the Keynesian era, which had high tax rates to fund government investment, have much higher levels of growth, it also massively increased living standards. You may claim that lowering tax rates yields higher levels of growth but you ignore the fact that there are plenty of extremely wealthy countries with very high tax rates (Nordic countries, Germany, Japan, etc). Conversely the experiment to lower tax rates in Kansas ended in misery, because the government had literally no resources left to run a decent local government.
Holly Geldart
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As if they would be like sure drop my wages by 40,000
SaintMarysSaint
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No buddy it's called living under capitalism, not the real world but an invention made by the few who dominate the rest and use them to create their massive wealth! get real buddy.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (137)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
18.23%
It was TERRIBLE (90)
15.05%

Watched Threads