Latin OCR GCSE 2017 J281 thread (and set text/8 marker help) Watch

DavoGCSE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is firstly just wondering everyone's thoughts on the upcoming papers, any predictions, advice, questions etc.
Also, if anyone happens to have (given by a teacher or anything) an analysis of the set texts as in like comments on the language or annotations or notes for the style questions (mainly 10 markers), it would be really appreciated if you could post/send it, happy to send the notes I have on grammar if anyone needs those?
And finally, we were never really taught how to answer 8 markers, as I'm aware they're different to style questions as its more about the content but not quite sure how to approach them - does anyone have any advice/notes/model answers??

Thanks a lot and good luck!
fish_and_chips
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
I'm pretty sure I'm doing J081 (Short Course), as I'm only taking exams in Language 1: Mythology and Domestic Life, and Verse Literature. I'm hoping this thread is still relevant to me! Do the set texts for Verse Literature change every year? I've looked at past papers and very few of them contain extracts from the poems we're studying (Catullus and Ovid), and are always interspersed with poems from different poets we haven't studied. Our teacher told us we'd be answering questions on our set texts so I'm a little worried about that part, not having anything to say on them etc.
Thanks!
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Set texts change every year
fish_and_chips
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Set texts change every year
Cool, so I don't need to be worried 😁 Thanks.
fish_and_chips
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://zigzageducation.co.uk/synops...Verse?pod=5797

This is an excellent resource for verse and prose - annotations, analysis, translations into English etc. It's what the students in my Latin class (all 6 of us!) are using at the moment.
DavoGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by fish_and_chips)
https://zigzageducation.co.uk/synops...Verse?pod=5797

This is an excellent resource for verse and prose - annotations, analysis, translations into English etc. It's what the students in my Latin class (all 6 of us!) are using at the moment.
Looks great but would you say it's worth all the money??
fish_and_chips
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DavoGCSE)
Looks great but would you say it's worth all the money??
Hmm - at this point in the course maybe not, given that the exams are so near. I hadn't actually realised how expensive they were (my school paid for the A pack for verse literature, not us). Oops!

http://www.ancient-literature.com is a good site I found for biographical information about Roman poets - useful for putting what they say in their writing into context perhaps. http://akcotton.co.uk/Files/5thformg...ionbooklet.pdf has some very useful tables to fill in for longer questions and also some example questions, although I don't know if the poem section of the GCSE is exactly what you're looking for. They're both freely available so maybe that would help?
DavoGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by fish_and_chips)
Hmm - at this point in the course maybe not, given that the exams are so near. I hadn't actually realised how expensive they were (my school paid for the A pack for verse literature, not us). Oops!

http://www.ancient-literature.com is a good site I found for biographical information about Roman poets - useful for putting what they say in their writing into context perhaps. http://akcotton.co.uk/Files/5thformg...ionbooklet.pdf has some very useful tables to fill in for longer questions and also some example questions, although I don't know if the poem section of the GCSE is exactly what you're looking for. They're both freely available so maybe that would help?
Thanks a lot i'll have a look!
sparkleizzy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is firstly just wondering everyone's thoughts on the upcoming papers, any predictions, advice, questions etc.
Also, if anyone happens to have (given by a teacher or anything) an analysis of the set texts as in like comments on the language or annotations or notes for the style questions (mainly 10 markers), it would be really appreciated if you could post/send it, happy to send the notes I have on grammar if anyone needs those?
And finally, we were never really taught how to answer 8 markers, as I'm aware they're different to style questions as its more about the content but not quite sure how to approach them - does anyone have any advice/notes/model answers??

Thanks a lot and good luck!
For the 8 mark I also wasn't really taught but I got 7/8 for it on my mock a few weeks ago so I might be able to help! Basically (if you are doing Messalina/ummidia - prose lit) you have to relate the character to the question so if you were asked a question like "What does the character of Ummidia show about Roman noble women?" (sorry if this is a crappy question I just made it up) you might say that Upper class women had a lot of free time and then talk about how she watches pantomime artists in her spare time. You don't need to directly quote the text though. You would need about 3 points which are developed. However I don't have much experience with 8 markers so I don't know if they questions are purely going to be on characters or on something else from the stories. (But considering both Messalina And Ummidia have the characters in their names I would assume the question will be about the women)
Also, Would you be able to send your notes on grammar!? Language is my weak point haha
5amer21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have attached recap notes for Messalina 2 and 3
Attached files
5amer21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My ummidia notes
Attached files
DavoGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by sparkleizzy)
For the 8 mark I also wasn't really taught but I got 7/8 for it on my mock a few weeks ago so I might be able to help! Basically (if you are doing Messalina/ummidia - prose lit) you have to relate the character to the question so if you were asked a question like "What does the character of Ummidia show about Roman noble women?" (sorry if this is a crappy question I just made it up) you might say that Upper class women had a lot of free time and then talk about how she watches pantomime artists in her spare time. You don't need to directly quote the text though. You would need about 3 points which are developed. However I don't have much experience with 8 markers so I don't know if they questions are purely going to be on characters or on something else from the stories. (But considering both Messalina And Ummidia have the characters in their names I would assume the question will be about the women)
Also, Would you be able to send your notes on grammar!? Language is my weak point haha
Thanks a lot! And my notes are awful but I recently found these (I think from the mock or end of year last year) and they've been helpful for me, hope they help
Attached files
DavoGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5amer21)
My ummidia notes
Thanks a lot that's really helpful!
yeezyb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Everyone seems to be doing something completely different to what I'm doing :O

For Literature Unit 3 I'm Doing:
• Caesar, Bravery and Strategy in Battle
• Caesar, at the heart of the Belgae
• Tacitus, Annals 14 Inspiration for the fight
• Cicero, Letters to Atticus: Marital Conflict

For Literatre Unit 4 I'm doing:
• Virgil, Aeneid Book 1

Anyone else doing these or am I just alone?? 😭

I have no idea how to answer the 8 markers so I'm panicking for those. For language however, I think I'm alright (I THINK)

Not looking forward for the exam at all on Wednesday :,(
CrookedPenis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
any predictions for 8-marker or any of the 1 mark/2 mark questions they ask on mythology and things like that? (Messalina and Ummidia)
Mattscatcat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My teacher says for 8 markers just spam as many ideas you can onto the paper as there is a massive time constraint.Just try to use as much of your knowledge of the text as you possible can.
username3168650
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by yeezyb)
Everyone seems to be doing something completely different to what I'm doing :O

For Literature Unit 3 I'm Doing:
• Caesar, Bravery and Strategy in Battle
• Caesar, at the heart of the Belgae
• Tacitus, Annals 14 Inspiration for the fight
• Cicero, Letters to Atticus: Marital Conflict

For Literatre Unit 4 I'm doing:
• Virgil, Aeneid Book 1

Anyone else doing these or am I just alone?? 😭

I have no idea how to answer the 8 markers so I'm panicking for those. For language however, I think I'm alright (I THINK)

Not looking forward for the exam at all on Wednesday :,(
Im doing these as well.
yeezyb
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good luck everyone for today! Hope you all do well 🤞🤞
sparkleizzy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks a lot! And my notes are awful but I recently found these (I think from the mock or end of year last year) and they've been helpful for me, hope they help
Thank you! They look really good
also good luck everyone today!!
yeezyb
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How did everyone feel about today's paper?!

I was quite surprised with Section A, went a lot more smoother than I had anticipated, put me in a really good mood for the rest of the day! I'm just happy that I can bin all my endless piles of Caesar Tacitus and Cicero notes haha! Looking forward for Friday's exam now, should be okay!

Anyways how'd it go for all you guys??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
24.09%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.64%