anxiousone111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi I was seeing flashes of light in my vision for a week, I went to an optometrist who checked mu eyes completely throughout, she said that my eyes are completely healthy and that there's nothing wrong and she has no explanation for it , so then wad happy as she said there's nothing wrong and then I went online and dis research and it said that continuous flashing lights could me a retinal tear andnow I'm worried because y parents are not letting me get a second opinion as the first one checked every ting including my retina and said there's nothing wrong so now I'm really worried I have also read people being misdiagnosed three +times so idk somebody plz. Help I cant get a second opinion and I'm freaking out with tej continuous flashing lights even though doctors say nothing wrong, my parents are not letting me get a second opinion
Grim_Squeaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Perhaps you are just overreacting. Not nice to hear I know..... but perhaps you should wait and see if it settles. What you read on the internet might not always be accurate and might just fuel your anxiety.
anxiousone111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Grim_Squeaker)
Perhaps you are just overreacting. Not nice to hear I know..... but perhaps you should wait and see if it settles. What you read on the internet might not always be accurate and might just fuel your anxiety.
yeah but I'm CONTINUOUSLY seeing the flashes of light even though my doctor said there's nothing wrong and online I've read doctors write that patiens have often been misdiagnosed several times and didn't notice the tear in their retinal or problems until it caused ppl to start going blind
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anxiousone111)
yeah but I'm CONTINUOUSLY seeing the flashes of light even though my doctor said there's nothing wrong and online I've read doctors write that patiens have often been misdiagnosed several times and didn't notice the tear in their retinal or problems until it caused ppl to start going blind
That's nowhere near as common as it is to have them for other reasons, or even no reason at all. Do you wear glasses? Do you spend a lot of time at a computer or writing/reading? Are you getting headaches?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the eye doctor says you're not seeing things that are there, you're seeing things that aren't and need a brain doctor

On a more serious note, you realise reports of people being misdiagnosed multiple times are over exaggerated compared to the rates of people being correctly diagnosed, because nobody goes on the internet and writes "oh boy today I went to the doctor and they found out exactly what was wrong and treated it immediately and it had no further effect".

You're overreacting both to the original issue and to the material you're seeking out to justify your original reaction. This isn't a criticism, and in fact is a common occurrence (see confirmation bias), but the trained medical professionals know more than you or anyone else who spent 5 minutes on google, as much as we don't like to hear that.
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anxiousone111)
Hi I was seeing flashes of light in my vision for a week, I went to an optometrist who checked mu eyes completely throughout, she said that my eyes are completely healthy and that there's nothing wrong and she has no explanation for it , so then wad happy as she said there's nothing wrong and then I went online and dis research and it said that continuous flashing lights could me a retinal tear andnow I'm worried because y parents are not letting me get a second opinion as the first one checked every ting including my retina and said there's nothing wrong so now I'm really worried I have also read people being misdiagnosed three +times so idk somebody plz. Help I cant get a second opinion and I'm freaking out with tej continuous flashing lights even though doctors say nothing wrong, my parents are not letting me get a second opinion
Do you mean an ophthalmologist? An optometrist is not a doctor.
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
With regards to the fact you have only been seeing these flashes for a week. Wait. It if continues on a regular basis almost every day for say six months, then the doctor and optometrist are more likely to sit up and take note. I know it's a concern to you, understandably. But often, for a proper medical diagnosis, it takes time. Continue to go back every few months if it continues, then the medical professionals will be aware that it is an ongoing thing and will have it on their records. By doing this, and by them being aware that it is a recurring problem they will be more likely to investigate it further. But hopefully it, whatever it is, will just be a temporary thing that will go away and never return. Good luck.
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had this situation with a concussion my doctor said not to worry and it would clear up within a month after a month when it was still bad and I was on the verge of suicide I looked everywhere and came across the ketogenic diet I tried it and it had amazing results.

I then found research papers about the ketogenic diet and autism which showed very promising results however for some obvious reason research appeared to stop in this area despite searching can't find modern research on this. It's not that I find research that debunked this there wasn't any that I could find just the research stopped.

Want to know why because you can't patent a diet and as simple as eat lots of fat and no carb. You can't sell that for £800+ a pop you can drugs and the scientific community is funded largely by drug companies they insist such research gets killed if it ever has promise. The likihood is that if you really do have something wrong with your eyes you won't ever get any help unless that help can involve expensive medication. Remember the doctors get their intel from modern research which is funded and regulated by the drug companies. This is why I am science skeptic now.

It's not that I doubt the scientific method which is the best tool I have it's that I doubt the integrity of the scientific community and it's sources of funding.

Mind you my situation was life was over if this didn't work and it was a diet so did not appear to risky. Your situation is probably not a life or death situation and I do t think you will find a diet online and I'd be really skeptical about applying other methods to treat your eye from the Internet.

Bottom line though if they can't find a way of selling expensive drugs procedures or other things to someone through your treatment your not getting help even if you need it. That would be bad for the drug companies.
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I kept going to the GP because I kept vomiting quite regularly. She just advised to eat healthily and make sure the kitchen was always clean, which it is. I saw her notes that said Campilobater with a question mark next to it. She would feel my adbomen area and nothing. Went back a few months later, still vomiting. This time when she felt my abdomen she knew I had Gallstones. Sent that day to hospital. My bloods were "deranged". Put on a ward. Intravenous drips for ten days while they figured out what else was making me so ill. Turns out I had Gallstone Pancreatitis; because the gallstones hadn't been detected earlier, it had developed and become much more serious. But it wasn't really the GP's fault. Those first few times when I probably had gallstones I had no pain and the only symptom was recurrent vomiting, which could have been anything or nothing. A private doctor would do a thorough investigation, but it would cost a hell of a lot of money and at this early stage, might be completely uncalled for anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (639)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads