Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is critical thinking really that highly regarded by universities?
    I got my as-results on Thursday and was o-k until I got on here and saw everyone got As and Bs or thereabouts.
    I got an unclassified, as did most people in my sixth form. Anyone Ive mentioned it to has said theres no point in retaking as most universities dont really pay much attention to that sort of thing, but I just saw in another thread that its quite well regarded.
    Im doing a-levels in english language, media studies and politics(predicted AAB) and Im taking up english literature at as-level come September so Ill have those four qualifications. Im just kind of panicking it wont be enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marychrist)
    Is critical thinking really that highly regarded by universities?
    I got my as-results on Thursday and was o-k until I got on here and saw everyone got As and Bs or thereabouts.
    I got an unclassified, as did most people in my sixth form. Anyone Ive mentioned it to has said theres no point in retaking as most universities dont really pay much attention to that sort of thing, but I just saw in another thread that its quite well regarded.
    Im doing a-levels in english language, media studies and politics(predicted AAB) and Im taking up english literature at as-level come September so Ill have those four qualifications. Im just kind of panicking it wont be enough.
    Normally 3 A2s are enough but some unis do ask for 3A2s + an AS which you'll have anyway, so don't worry. Kinda strange though as my mate got a U in CT after consistent A's in mocks and teacher predictions.

ReputationRep:
    I never went to critical thinking as I presumed it was some shite version of general studies, so an unclassified wasnt totally unexpected, although I did kind of expect to get a grade, even it was a D or an E.

ReputationRep:
    I never went to critical thinking as I presumed it was some shite version of general studies, so an unclassified wasnt totally unexpected, although I did kind of expect to get a grade, even it was a D or an E.
    In my opinion a U is better than an E if your applying to BBB+ unis as you don't have to mention it, whereas an E looks bad to them.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so! I never thought of it like that.
    Will they not wonder why Ive not done any sort of general studies/critical thinking/whatever subject though?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so! I never thought of it like that.
    Will they not wonder why Ive not done any sort of general studies/critical thinking/whatever subject though?
    I haven't and only a handful of my college (almost 3000 a-level students) took critical thinking and no-one takes general studies...I only found out what it was a few months back.

ReputationRep:
    Well the only critical thinking grades I know from my college this year were a D and an E. I know really smart people last year who've only managed Cs and Ds. It's quite strange, I think my college must be teaching it wrong or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I haven't and only a handful of my college (almost 3000 a-level students) took critical thinking and no-one takes general studies...I only found out what it was a few months back.
    Actually some people (like I did) do take General Studies as a full A-level. Although this isn't usually a part of an offer (it wasn't for me) it does show you're capable of some decent thinking across the board. The vast majority of high performing students do worse at GS as a result since most are use to concentrating on a specific field.

Add to this the fact that, certainly for where I studied, it's basically a free A-level! If you can get an A or B in it then it can do no harm. If you did well at GCSE's then it's simple.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.