The Student Room Group

Can I get Student Finance?

Back in September 2011 - I started a course in Childhood Studies which I did for 2 years and got student finance for. I got the DipHE (Lv 5) and have been working in Early Years ever since.

I'm hoping to make a career change - and I'm wondering if I can still get student finance, for a new course, in Animal Management or similar.

I have been looking at 2yr foundation degrees in Animal Management at Kirkley Hall, which i'm very interested in.

Can anyone help on whether I could get a loan to cover the tuition fee?

I'm 24 years old if that makes a difference too.
Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Becx_
Back in September 2011 - I started a course in Childhood Studies which I did for 2 years and got student finance for. I got the DipHE (Lv 5) and have been working in Early Years ever since.

I'm hoping to make a career change - and I'm wondering if I can still get student finance, for a new course, in Animal Management or similar.

I have been looking at 2yr foundation degrees in Animal Management at Kirkley Hall, which i'm very interested in.

Can anyone help on whether I could get a loan to cover the tuition fee?

I'm 24 years old if that makes a difference too.
Thanks!

Hi,

When you start a new course we will consider any previous study you've had. In particular we look at the number of years of study you've had and whether you've gained any qualifications.

If you already hold a DipHE, we would not expect that you would be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan or Maintenance Loan for the Foundation Degree. This is due to our rules on Equivalent Level Qualifications (ELQs) which state that if you already hold a qualification, you will not be entitled to funding for another course which leads to an equal or lower level of qualification being awarded.

You would be entitled to apply for Disabled Students Allowance and Grants for Dependents if these are applicable to you.

Thanks
Reply 2
Thank you for your response. Would I then be eligible for the Advanced Learner Loan for a Level 3 if I am over 24?
Original post by Becx_
Thank you for your response. Would I then be eligible for the Advanced Learner Loan for a Level 3 if I am over 24?

Hi Bec,

Advanced Learner Loans are a separate type of funding which won't consider your previous study unless you have had an ALL before. You should be eligible for this if this is your first time applying.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending