The Student Room Group

English revision tips for people who don't like English !!

I am one of the less English inclined, more sciencey students, who plans to take STEM subjects at college, BUT recognises the importance of a strong English gcse grade.

Aiming for grade 7 and above, ANY TIPS on English LIT exams coming up for us who are less naturally talented at English. I'm doing Romeo and Juliet, Christmas carol, lord of the flies and power and conflict cluster (btw I am VERY hard working and know I can achieve anything if I'm given some guidance, and I can also be very persuasive with my writing!)
thank god you asked this question, omg im doing dorian gray and jekyll and hyde
Original post by Aaa111444
I am one of the less English inclined, more sciencey students, who plans to take STEM subjects at college, BUT recognises the importance of a strong English gcse grade.

Aiming for grade 7 and above, ANY TIPS on English LIT exams coming up for us who are less naturally talented at English. I'm doing Romeo and Juliet, Christmas carol, lord of the flies and power and conflict cluster (btw I am VERY hard working and know I can achieve anything if I'm given some guidance, and I can also be very persuasive with my writing!)

Same, I want at least a Grade 7, and I'm doing Jekyll and Hyde, Romeo and Juliet, An Inspector Calls and Love and Relationships on OCR

1. Divide your revision into themes. Revise three themes that you are confident you could write an essay in and two back up themes that you write an adequate answer to.

2. Re-read important moments in your texts. So for example, in Lord of the Flies, an important scene to re-read would be the very beginning of the book where we are first introduced to the characters. How is Ralph described? Are there any contrasts to be made in how Ralph and Jack is first introduced to us? Look at any metaphors, similes etc that are used in that text.

3. Make character profiles. Note down what the personality of that character is like. Are they persistently associated with a certain image? What is the purpose/role of that character in the story?

4. Always ask yourself why. Why did Shakespeare decide to kill off a certain character? What effect does that have on the rest of the story?

If you have a look at the three posts I've made for lit you'll see I use the same technique for all, and this can be applied to any text you study. Macbeth can be applied to R&J for example. See if they help: examinershead.wordpress.com
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending