How do you answer a source comparison question?

Watch
Lumi172
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So we've basically just been introduced to these questions involving sources and I'm struggling with these questions. The questions are 'How useful are sources B and C and then explain the answer using sources B and C and own knowledge. I have no idea where to begin with these questions and I am kind of struggling. I know I am supposed to use nature, origin and purpose but have no idea what I'm supposed to be writing for these. Also, how would you structure this? Would you do one paragraph on Source B and the nature, origin and purpose under that paragraph and then a separate one for Source C or would you do separate paragraphs for nature, origin and purpose? Would own knowledge be a completely different paragraph or do you have to embed it in? I really need a detailed answer or at least a pointer in the right direction.
Thanks.
Syndron
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lumi172)
So we've basically just been introduced to these questions involving sources and I'm struggling with these questions. The questions are 'How useful are sources B and C and then explain the answer using sources B and C and own knowledge. I have no idea where to begin with these questions and I am kind of struggling. I know I am supposed to use nature, origin and purpose but have no idea what I'm supposed to be writing for these. Also, how would you structure this? Would you do one paragraph on Source B and the nature, origin and purpose under that paragraph and then a separate one for Source C or would you do separate paragraphs for nature, origin and purpose? Would own knowledge be a completely different paragraph or do you have to embed it in? I really need a detailed answer or at least a pointer in the right direction.
Thanks.
You use your own knowledge when you are attempting to argue for or against the source. If there is a problem in Source B that you have identified, say if Source B is one-sided, then you use your own knowledge to prove why it is one-sided and relate it back to the question. I embed my own knowledge into my source paragraph because my teacher (harsh drawf he is) will not give a paragraph any marks if it's just about your knowledge unless you analyse a source with it.

Nature is what the source is about.
Origin is the time period which the source came from. If it is within a time period where an event took place which influenced that source specifically, then you should address that.
Purpose is the 'function' of the source aka why is the source the way it is? Is the speaker trying to gain attention? Is he/she asking for help? What message is the source trying to deliver?

I can't really explain how I structure source questions (which is very unhelpful, I know) but I have a source essay which was 23/30 marks so if you want to see how I structured it, I can send it to you?
Shaheb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there, message quite late but could you send me a copy of your essay?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (148)
45.4%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.66%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed