The Student Room Group

Non-fatal offences S.20 and s.18

Hey i was just wondering if any of you guys have any tips/plans for an application essay plan for s.20 GBH and s.18 GBH?
State what the person could be tried for, give a definition and the correct Act & year.

Define the relevant sections of the actus reus & make a link to the scenario for every case/point you use.
Do the same for the mens rea.
Original post by Chichaldo
State what the person could be tried for, give a definition and the correct Act & year.

Define the relevant sections of the actus reus & make a link to the scenario for every case/point you use.
Do the same for the mens rea.

alright cheers, (stupid question but) also when talking about the actus reus of gbh would you include factual and legal causation?
I whipped this up from the 2016 paper:

The offence of unlawful and malicious infliction of gbh (s20) based on the initial push injury the offence under s20 based on the subsequent paralysis (raising issues of causation) the offence of unlawful and malicious causing of gbh with intent under s18 arising out of the above the offence of assault (battery) occasioning abh under s47 as an alternative if gbh cannot be established.

So yes, you should talk about whether they are the legal and factual cause but not too much though, make it especially clear if there are multiple factors leading to the injury.
Original post by Chichaldo
I whipped this up from the 2016 paper:

The offence of unlawful and malicious infliction of gbh (s20) based on the initial push injury the offence under s20 based on the subsequent paralysis (raising issues of causation) the offence of unlawful and malicious causing of gbh with intent under s18 arising out of the above the offence of assault (battery) occasioning abh under s47 as an alternative if gbh cannot be established.

So yes, you should talk about whether they are the legal and factual cause but not too much though, make it especially clear if there are multiple factors leading to the injury.

Sweet, thats cleared it up for me, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest