The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Standard shared bathroom - how many people?

Accommodation opens tomorrow and I'm still considering ensuite vs shared due to a medical condition. I saw that standard ensuites are £140 but premium shared is £139 sharing with only 3 other people. I could cope with this with my condition but would rather pay for a standard shared if possible.

Roughly how many people do you share with? Does it differ between colleges? I'm favouring Goodricke so what's it like there?

It does differ from college to college, I think it is mainly based on the layout of the block, size, time of build etc.
For Goodricke it looks like its 6-12 per flat for both standards. There is no premium for Goodricke.
For Langwith premium shared is 8 per flat and ensuite is 12 per flat and for Constantine it is 12 per both types
Hope this helps
I applied to James,Derwent and Vanbrugh because my subject is on the west campus
University of York
York
Original post by greghayes
Accommodation opens tomorrow and I'm still considering ensuite vs shared due to a medical condition. I saw that standard ensuites are £140 but premium shared is £139 sharing with only 3 other people. I could cope with this with my condition but would rather pay for a standard shared if possible.

Roughly how many people do you share with? Does it differ between colleges? I'm favouring Goodricke so what's it like there?

It varies between colleges, but for standard it'll most likely be between 3 and 4 people. For Constantine (where I live), it's 3 people per bathroom, but the layout of the corridors is a bit weird - there's 1 bathroom on the corridor with 5 bedrooms, and 3 bathrooms on the corridor with 7 bathrooms.

Simply in terms of everyday use, the ratio has never proven to be an issue - even though there's only the one bathroom on my corridor of five, I there's rarely someone else in when I need it, so I imagine that four people per bathroom would be enough. For what it's worth, shared bathrooms are cleaned every weekday (and free, albeit fairly poor quality, toilet paper is provided), whereas en-suites are only cleaned monthly or termly.
Thanks both. I've now put in for my accommodation and done Goodricke (both types) then Constantine then Langwith (as I'd prefer Campus East). I've then gone for all the possible ensuites and shareds that fit into my self-catered category as well but have stated that I need as few people as possible with supporting medical evidence so hopefully I'll get some place on East.

And doctorwhofan98, I have an ensuite now and clean it myself every week anyway so I'm not too bothered about the cleaning side. Thanks :smile:
Multiple

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending