What is AO2 and how do I find devices for it? Watch

its_lit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I don't want anyone to think I'm stupid or nothing, but I'm currently doing my GCSE's in English Literature, and I seriously struggle to find goodquotations that I can go into lots of detail with. Whenever I get a quotation that the teacher has given us to use, I can never seem to find a good device to use and all I can do is state the obvious, which I'm guessing won't really get me anywhere. Has anyone got any good tips for me or a decent website that provides detailed explanations as to how to find quotations, how to take devices from them and how to 'embed the quotation?'

P.S. If it helps I'm currently doing GCSE for 'An Inspector Calls' by J. B. Priestly, 'Heroes' by Robert Cormier and 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck
Syndron
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by its_lit)
I don't want anyone to think I'm stupid or nothing, but I'm currently doing my GCSE's in English Literature, and I seriously struggle to find goodquotations that I can go into lots of detail with. Whenever I get a quotation that the teacher has given us to use, I can never seem to find a good device to use and all I can do is state the obvious, which I'm guessing won't really get me anywhere. Has anyone got any good tips for me or a decent website that provides detailed explanations as to how to find quotations, how to take devices from them and how to 'embed the quotation?'

P.S. If it helps I'm currently doing GCSE for 'An Inspector Calls' by J. B. Priestly, 'Heroes' by Robert Cormier and 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck
AO2 is about form (how the story is set out. Is it a drama/play/prose text), language (like you've mentioned, literary devices) and structure (sentence structure, stage directions).

This link briefly summarises the literary devices used in OMAM.

This link is a revision guide for Inspector Calls which touches upon the devices used in the play and how to answer some exam questions.
its_lit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Syndron)
AO2 is about form (how the story is set out. Is it a drama/play/prose text), language (like you've mentioned, literary devices) and structure (sentence structure, stage directions).

This link briefly summarises the literary devices used in OMAM.

This link is a revision guide for Inspector Calls which touches upon the devices used in the play and how to answer some exam questions.
See... that's what I don't get... how do I find the best quotes in the play and then embed it and show what the devices are without saying everythings a methapor like I did with my Romeo and Juliet controlled assessment

I just don't get how to actually figure out what devices a certain quote has... I don't know whether that's just me or whether it's hard for everyone...
Syndron
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by its_lit)
See... that's what I don't get... how do I find the best quotes in the play and then embed it and show what the devices are without saying everythings a methapor like I did with my Romeo and Juliet controlled assessment

I just don't get how to actually figure out what devices a certain quote has... I don't know whether that's just me or whether it's hard for everyone...
The best advice I could give you about looking for the 'best' quotes is from looking at the themes and finding the quotes for it. For example, can you find any quotes that link to the American Dream and possibly have some literary device within it? Gender roles? (the portrayal of Curley's wife / Curley and how he's 'superior' AO2 doesn't always have to be about language devices and I think that's what catches some people off. Talking about the context aka Garden of Eden in OMAM or the stage directions in AIC are all under AO2 & AO3.

You should also be aware of the different types of devices that are used in literature texts. If you don't know what kind of devices there are, that is a clear reason why you would struggle in explaining a quote.'Embedding' a quote means it has to relate to the point you're making and linking back to the question you're being asked about. If this still troubles you, I wouldn't mind helping you out.
its_lit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Syndron)
The best advice I could give you about looking for the 'best' quotes is from looking at the themes and finding the quotes for it. For example, can you find any quotes that link to the American Dream and possibly have some literary device within it? Gender roles? (the portrayal of Curley's wife / Curley and how he's 'superior' AO2 doesn't always have to be about language devices and I think that's what catches some people off. Talking about the context aka Garden of Eden in OMAM or the stage directions in AIC are all under AO2 & AO3.

You should also be aware of the different types of devices that are used in literature texts. If you don't know what kind of devices there are, that is a clear reason why you would struggle in explaining a quote.'Embedding' a quote means it has to relate to the point you're making and linking back to the question you're being asked about. If this still troubles you, I wouldn't mind helping you out.
I'm currently in the middle of writing a paragraph on Mrs. BIrling from Inspector Calls and I've used what you linked me to and it helped me out a bunch. Thank you so much, you have also kinda made me understand what it is that I have to do. Thanks!
Ravneet2527
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would recommend use the simple devices such as metaphors , similes or even pronoun and abstract noun etc to build up your analysis . For example , lets say you identified one adjective and noun in relation to war , then you can say that the semantic field of war highlights...also try to link the devices to the play as a whole For example, the dramatic irony used at the start of the play highlights how Priestley wanted to convey that capitalist ideologies are as misleading and wrong as Birling's predictions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.68%
No (601)
72.32%

Watched Threads