The Student Room Group

Is this outfit appropriate for work experience in a bank?

20170507_193911.jpg

I would be wearing it with tights and for shoes I was thinking loafers ? Perhaps Russell and Bromley ones ? Or if anyone has any better suggestions let me know ?

So what do you guys think ? My father thinks that it is too short ? But I disagree

Scroll to see replies

Probably too short but it depends on the place. Mid length skirts and trousers are more appropriate , although you could probably get away with skinny jeans and a black plain top for work experience
Yes if you're getting experience in being a whore who gets piped by the investment bankers who are high on coke.

Other than that, you seriously need to do some research on what's appropriate.
Original post by ___Sophie___

So what do you guys think ? My father thinks that it is too short ? But I disagree

Your dad is right, it's far too short. It's a place of business, not a cocktail party.
Original post by godsmouth00
Yes if you're getting experience in being a whore who gets piped by the investment bankers who are high on coke.

You seem to have a lot of bitterness and misogyny. Is that sort of language really necessary?
Original post by AlexanderHam
You seem to have a lot of bitterness and misogyny. Is that sort of language really necessary?

Oh go away you white knight, it's just a joke
Yes with tights. No for bare legs.
Too short and too glittery for work full stop.
Reply 8
Yes for Whore, No for Professional.
That's something you'd see in a backwater club, not a bank.
Should be fine, glittery stuff perhaps questions it but it might be wiser to check a code of conduct or someone at the bank.
I think it would be semi-appropriate so long as you were to wear tights with it,

Other than that, you seriously need to do some research on what's appropriate.

If you think that dress makes her look like a whore you haven't seen enough in your lifetime bud.

The dress is lovely but not work appropriate :smile: that's all
Ignore the idiots who are saying 'whore'. That's a horrible thing to say.

It's a nice enough outfit; very tasteful. Just not the right fit for a bank (remember banks are inherently conservative organisations... aim more for a pant suit look)
Oh go away you white knight, it's just a joke

I'd believe that if you hadn't used the word 'whore'.

And it's laughable to assert there's some kind of white knight impulse at work here; I'm not even straight.
Original post by Miss tiara
If you think that dress makes her look like a whore you haven't seen enough in your lifetime bud.

The dress is lovely but not work appropriate :smile: that's all

Dear lord its a joke.
That would be fine for many workplaces, but I think a bank is likely to be quite conservative so there are better options. That said, it is just work experience. You can wear that on your first day and if they'd like you to wear something else they will tell you. It's not a huge deal.
Original post by ByronicHero
That would be fine for many workplaces, but I think a bank is likely to be quite conservative so there are better options. That said, it is just work experience. You can wear that on your first day and if they'd like you to wear something else they will tell you. It's not a huge deal.

That's good advice except for the 'first day' bit. The issue is that these things are far more about working out if the person is "one of us" than their actual performance on any tasks assigned. These comes down to subtle social cues, and wearing the right clothes is one of them. If they have to explain it, they will assume the person isn't "one of us"
What about something like this? This is more 'finance industry' than what you posted

Aim for knee length skirt with a smart top. You want to be respected rather than being looked at as a piece of meat.

It is not a fashion contest and this is a place of work. Ignore the whore comments.

Quick Reply

Latest