The Student Room Group

Toss up between Durham & Birmingham

I know this is a annoying question as its been asked countless time before. However i really do not know what to do. My A level results were strange i got 2 As but screwed up in maths. Therefore i was rejected by both my choice universities. I had to go into clearing and was lucky enough to be excepted by Durham, Leeds and Birmingham, im not too keen on Leeds because i dont like the course. Im really struggling to decide between Durham and Birmingham ... at first it seemed obvious that Durham has the better reputation etc. but then i was told the Birmingham was quite good too and was an up and coming university with a vibrant city to boot! Please help guys ! Sorry to bore you :tongue:
Reply 1
Durham is rather sort after, to get in through clearing is quite an achievement! You really got yourself something good there. Well done. As for the decision... If you like big overpowering cathedrals and cute, quirky little england, Durham, otherwise Birmingham.
Reply 2
Birmingham
Reply 3
sashh
Birmingham

lol ... any reason ...
Reply 4
HasanB
I know this is a annoying question as its been asked countless time before. However i really do not know what to do. My A level results were strange i got 2 As but screwed up in maths. Therefore i was rejected by both my choice universities. I had to go into clearing and was lucky enough to be excepted by Durham, Leeds and Birmingham, im not too keen on Leeds because i dont like the course. Im really struggling to decide between Durham and Birmingham ... at first it seemed obvious that Durham has the better reputation etc. but then i was told the Birmingham was quite good too and was an up and coming university with a vibrant city to boot! Please help guys ! Sorry to bore you :tongue:

Which course?
Reply 5
HasanB

Be warned - Durham is absolutely tiny and there isn't much there. It's also rather posh and knows it.
Reply 6
TheWolf
Which course?

Coumputer science & Business at Birmingham, Eco & Finance at Durham.
Reply 7
I'm at Birmingham. Brilliant place to go to uni and enjoy yourself. It has an excellent reputation with employers (even though it doesn't command much respect on here). In all honesty though, in career terms I think Eco&finance will put you in better stead than computer science and business.
Reply 8
I say go for Durham. It's an old prestigious university and and after having spent a couple of days there I can say that I really like the place and fit in well. It was my insurance offer.
Check carefully where you are being offered a place as I believe Durham only has clearing places at the Stockton campus. That's what it says on their website anyway.

"The University of Durham has available a number of vacancies at our Queen's Campus. Please note that there are no vacancies on our programmes in Durham City."
Reply 10
You're gonna have to visit both and see what they're like. Reputation's not everything, personally I hated Durham.
Reply 11
yes the place was offered at the stockton campus. Thats the other thing ... is there percieved to be a big difference .. i mean after all it is the same university.
Reply 12
HasanB
yes the place was offered at the stockton campus. Thats the other thing ... is there percieved to be a big difference .. i mean after all it is the same university.

By employers no, the degree you recieve is from the University of Durham and is all they know. An employer would have needed to have gone to Durham themselves to be able to work out which campus you were on without looking it up.

Day to day though, you could practically be at a different university. There is a 20mile distance between them, and the QC has its own societies etc. Currently there are plans to introduce buses between the campuses for late-nights. The current bus service is run by Arriva and last bus is before 11pm.
Birmingham.
Durham is full of antisocial weirdos who will do nothing but talk about how they knew they almost made Oxbridge for three years or so.
Reply 14
I would say Birmingham but I'll let you decide on your own:
http://www.unofficial-guides.com/guides/bham.html
http://www.unofficial-guides.com/guides/durham.html

Have a look around those links - it includes information about the social life, accomadation, facillities, etc (links at the bottom and top).
Reply 15
Thanks a lot for your help guys!...its just that i want to do a postgrad course in either economics or business or along the same lines, im just not sure if Computer Science with Business management (the course id do in Birmingham) is the right course. I mean i can take economics modules in the optional modules that you get. Does anyone know if i can get onto a business/economics postrad degree course by doing BSc (Hons) Computer Science with Business. Say that i get a good degree (1st or 2.1) would i be able to get into a good uni to do an eco or business related postgrad degree?
Reply 16
Birmingham. I havent heard many good things about the Stockton campus. Birmingham is a great city
Reply 17
Out of the two I had choose Birmingham on location as there is stuff to do there and the climate is a little warmer.

Latest

Trending

Trending