The Student Room Group

Medical extenuating circumstances & dropping out

I'm currently taking a medical interruption of study from the first year of a maths course at a top-tier university. I'm considering dropping out completely for the sake of my immediate mental health, which is a decision the department is likely to support.

I would like to attend tertiary education in the future, possibly beginning in late 2018, but I'm worried that if I drop out now, especially for mental health reasons, it will be seen as a black mark against my application for competitive universities - possibly giving the perception that I simply "flaked out" of the course.

So the question is, if I do go down that road, is it likely that any institutions I apply to will seriously consider my application despite my history of having not completed a degree? Of course I will be able to provide documents from a medical professional confirming my condition, as well as a letter from the university to the effect that the termination of my studies was on health grounds.
Original post by SnakePlissken
I'm currently taking a medical interruption of study from the first year of a maths course at a top-tier university. I'm considering dropping out completely for the sake of my immediate mental health, which is a decision the department is likely to support.

I would like to attend tertiary education in the future, possibly beginning in late 2018, but I'm worried that if I drop out now, especially for mental health reasons, it will be seen as a black mark against my application for competitive universities - possibly giving the perception that I simply "flaked out" of the course.

So the question is, if I do go down that road, is it likely that any institutions I apply to will seriously consider my application despite my history of having not completed a degree? Of course I will be able to provide documents from a medical professional confirming my condition, as well as a letter from the university to the effect that the termination of my studies was on health grounds.

Nope I wouldnt worry.It is illegal to discriminate against anyone with a disability. You need to get better first. If you need to you can try and claim the money back for compelling personal reasons as well. I dont think the Uni terminates, it should be more that you voluntarily withdraw yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by SnakePlissken

No, it won't count against you. Knowing when you need to pause and regroup is often viewed as a sign of maturity and good decision-making. As long as you can satisfy a future uni that your health issues have been resolved, you'll be absolutely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending