The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, see if you've been asked to explain the prisoner's dilemma as a simple model of altruism, how would you answer it?
Original post by Puppo
The max cell number is 8 (remember to read the correct y axis, for cell number it is the left y axis.) 50% of max cell no. is therefore 4. To determine the units of glutaminase activity at this point you must find out what day in the culture period the cell no. was 4. To do this read the y axis at 4 then travel along the graph until you hit the line representing cell number then look directly down to see what day this corresponds to. The answer is day 2.8. (x axis is 2 units per box). Reading the graph will reveal the glutanimase activity at day 2.8 to be 8 (remember you are reading the right y axis for glutanimase activity).

Ahhh, I understand, I always seem to miss out on the little details, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dsdemona
Hey guys, see if you've been asked to explain the prisoner's dilemma as a simple model of altruism, how would you answer it?

i don't think you need to explain prisoners dilemma as an example. For a 4 mark question.
Just define altruism, then talk about reciprocal altruism and give an example such as regurgitating blood in vampire bats.
Next define kin selection, and then give an example of this, in social insects such as bees. There are few fertile individuals and many sterile workers.
Reply 83
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much that's a great help :smile:
Reply 84
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I doubt they could even ask u about prisoners dilemma as it's just a way of exemplifying altruism and isn't really 'scientific'
Reply 85
You know on a question where it says give one or two examples etc and u give more than they say to give but they are all correct will you still get the marks?
I would really appreciate some help with this question! I guessed it for the second value of the diploid number so I got B but the answer is D. How do you get D?
bio.png
Original post by eve_4342
I would really appreciate some help with this question! I guessed it for the second value of the diploid number so I got B but the answer is D. How do you get D?
bio.png

So you got the first part because of the total non-disjunction the spindle fibres didn't fully separate which means you add the chromosome numbers together and for the second one, the same thing happens again and the result is a cell with diploid number 42, so the answer for the second part would be 42-28 which is 14 :smile:
Original post by studycloud
So you got the first part because of the total non-disjunction the spindle fibres didn't fully separate which means you add the chromosome numbers together and for the second one, the same thing happens again and the result is a cell with diploid number 42, so the answer for the second part would be 42-28 which is 14 :smile:

Thank you thank you!!!
Anyone got any predictions for the essay questions this year?
Original post by ballsagitarius
i don't think you need to explain prisoners dilemma as an example. For a 4 mark question.
Just define altruism, then talk about reciprocal altruism and give an example such as regurgitating blood in vampire bats.
Next define kin selection, and then give an example of this, in social insects such as bees. There are few fertile individuals and many sterile workers.

Original post by Puppo
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I doubt they could even ask u about prisoners dilemma as it's just a way of exemplifying altruism and isn't really 'scientific'

Oh okay, thank you. I don't really understand how the prisoners' dilemma has to do with altruism so I hope it won't come up.

@Puppo I'm glad my notes helped :smile:
Original post by Jaismith
Anyone got any predictions for the essay questions this year?

I'm putting money on a gene expression one popping up
Original post by KyleJDougall
I'm putting money on a gene expression one popping up

To me, that would seem like a decent question
Reply 93
Would you talk about transcription translations and types of rna? Would you talk about alternative rna splicing and post translational modification as well?
Original post by Puppo
Would you talk about transcription translations and types of rna? Would you talk about alternative rna splicing and post translational modification as well?

They would tell you to write under specific headings, usually 2 headings, e.g. "Write notes on gene expression under the following headings:
a). Transcription x marks
b). Translation y marks"

But you could also mention how the mature mRNA transcript is spliced before undergoing the process of translation however, I don't think post translational modification would be necessary to write about since it didn't specifically asked you to write about the ways as to how one gene may give rise to several proteins.

Ultimately, it all really depends on what the question asks.
How much time are you meant to spend on the essay question? Is it not supposed to be 30 min?
Reply 96
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right thanks hopefully it'll be pretty clear what to write and maybe 5 mins on 4 marker and 10-15 on 9 marker as it's something like 1.5 mins per mark when you break it down
Reply 97
Is it just me that's really worried about bio? I'm surprised as I find it okay but the PS and the really specific marking schemes have me concerned haha
I think the long essay will be on unit 2 since unit 1 and 3 have already come up.
Original post by SophieJane1247
I think the long essay will be on unit 2 since unit 1 and 3 have already come up.

Last year it was on catabolic and anabolic pathways which is unit 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending