Who can distinguish precedent?? PLEASE HELP URGENTLY!

Watch
new1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can any court distinguish precedent or it just certain higher courts that are able to do this?
Also the same with disapproving. Can any court disapprove of precedent or is just certain courts?

Thanks!
jamcal
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As far as I remember, any court can distinguish from a precedent if the material facts aren't the same as the landmark case. A case example is Balfour v Balfour distinguishing from Merritt v Merritt.

Disapproving isn't a thing in judicial precedent (or it isn't as far as OCR is concerned). Overulling and reversing are however. Overulling can only be done by a higher court than the precedent it was set in (i.e if the original precedent was created in Crown Court, only the High and Supreme Courts can overrule. The Magistrates would have to follow the precedent, and then the defendant would appeal to the Crown Court which would then go to the Court of Appeal.

I think that's how it works anyway, I do judicial precedent revision tomorrow so it could still be a little rusty.
new1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by jamcal)
As far as I remember, any court can distinguish from a precedent if the material facts aren't the same as the landmark case. A case example is Balfour v Balfour distinguishing from Merritt v Merritt.

Disapproving isn't a thing in judicial precedent (or it isn't as far as OCR is concerned). Overulling and reversing are however. Overulling can only be done by a higher court than the precedent it was set in (i.e if the original precedent was created in Crown Court, only the High and Supreme Courts can overrule. The Magistrates would have to follow the precedent, and then the defendant would appeal to the Crown Court which would then go to the Court of Appeal.

I think that's how it works anyway, I do judicial precedent revision tomorrow so it could still be a little rusty.
Thanks! I do AQA so disapproving is apparently a thing in my spec! But thanks anyways!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.38%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.38%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
46.88%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (6)
18.75%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads