aychow
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi I have just submitted my firm/insurance on UCAS for History of Art today.

The thing is, over the past few months I have decided to switch my course to Archaeology & Anthropology, but I decided to firm UCL which offers both courses (in hopes of possibly being able to switch courses on results day). However I have also considered taking a gap year which would allow me to completely reapply for Arch & Anth at other universities too (which I will most likely do). Only after the UCAS submission have I realised that I am now "bonded by a contract", which sounds pretty worrying - Will I be able to get UCL to release me or allow me to switch my course on results day? And what will happen to my accommodation should I decide to be released?

Any help or response is greatly appreciated x
06moca1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aychow)

The thing is, over the past few months I have decided to switch my course to Archaeology & Anthropology, but I decided to firm UCL which offers both courses (in hopes of possibly being able to switch courses on results day). However I have also considered taking a gap year which would allow me to completely reapply for Arch & Anth at other universities too (which I will most likely do). Only after the UCAS submission have I realised that I am now "bonded by a contract", which sounds pretty worrying - Will I be able to get UCL to release me or allow me to switch my course on results day? And what will happen to my accommodation should I decide to be released?

You should sort all that out before result day. If you don't want to attend the university then call them up and say "no thanks". If you want to switch course then do it now and ask.
aychow
Rep:
?
(Original post by 06moca1)
You should sort all that out before result day. If you don't want to attend the university then call them up and say "no thanks". If you want to switch course then do it now and ask.
Ok thank you very much for your advice!
NutellaLatte
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was hoping to switch from BSc Psychology with Education to Anthropology (Thank God, I didn't! that's just my story) but from emailing them several times, I was told by both UG admissions that I could only switch to Anthropology if the department were able to take me, but it did not guarantee me a place just because I got a firm from Psychology and also that there was no turning back, If the department of Anthropology rejected me. I don't want to dishearten you at all, if you want to switch, with all means go for it! They're really helpful in admission btw, also check out their taster days!
Forecast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aychow)

If you decide to take a gap year after being accepted you can just not enrol and let them know by e-mail when they send you the enrolment information in September. Your accomodation offer is made separately and you can turn this down as well; the deadline for replying is the middle of August. I did so last year with no issues.
aychow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Forecast)
If you decide to take a gap year after being accepted you can just not enrol and let them know by e-mail when they send you the enrolment information in September. Your accomodation offer is made separately and you can turn this down as well; the deadline for replying is the middle of August. I did so last year with no issues.
Ok that clears things up! Thank you so much for your advice.
aychow
Rep:
?
(Original post by NutellaLatte)
I was hoping to switch from BSc Psychology with Education to Anthropology (Thank God, I didn't! that's just my story) but from emailing them several times, I was told by both UG admissions that I could only switch to Anthropology if the department were able to take me, but it did not guarantee me a place just because I got a firm from Psychology and also that there was no turning back, If the department of Anthropology rejected me. I don't want to dishearten you at all, if you want to switch, with all means go for it! They're really helpful in admission btw, also check out their taster days!
Thank you for your response! Do you reckon I should ask the admissions team as soon as possible, or should I wait until I get confirmed after results day?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.53%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.93%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.65%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.36%

Watched Threads