Trignometric identities question help

Watch this thread
BabzY
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 92
Size:  1.4 KB

For solutions in the range -180 < theta < 180

The answer is 30 and 150 degrees but i would like to see the method for this question, any help is appreciated
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BabzY)
Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 92
Size:  1.4 KB

For solutions in the range -180 < theta < 180

The answer is 30 and 150 degrees but i would like to see the method for this question, any help is appreciated
Do you know how to firstly solve this equation in terms of a single trigonometric function?? I.e. what identity can you use to reduce this equations into a quadratic in terms of a single trig function?
the bear
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
there is a well known relationship between tan2 and sec2
BabzY
Rep:
1 + tan^2 theta = sec^2 theta , using that i get a quadratic equation by subbing sec^2 theta -1 for tan^2 theta however when i work it out my answer doesn't match the one in the book
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BabzY)
1 + tan^2 theta = sec^2 theta , using that i get a quadratic equation by subbing sec^2 theta -1 for tan^2 theta however when i work it out my answer doesn't match the one in the book
Okay, so what do you do when you get \sec^2(\theta)-5\sec(\theta)+2=0 ??
the bear
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
is your calculator set to degrees ?

:holmes:
jackdavidson1874
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Okay, so what do you do when you get \sec^2(\theta)-5\sec(\theta)+2=0 ??
You would factorise it as a quadratic and then set both brackets equal to 0 and solve
BabzY
Rep:
hahaha, thanks guys. Was using the correct method but forgot all about the calculator settings
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
42.09%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.32%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.22%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.37%

Watched Threads