The Student Room Group

Subject choices.

Hello, I am a year 12 student studying History, Biology, Maths and Chemistry and I have been advised to drop one subject next year with which I agree, however I am not sure which one. Personally I would drop Chemistry as I find it the hardest and least interesting and is also my worst subject in terms of grades, however I feel like I will not have many career opportunities with the remaining subjects as they don' really go together. At the moment I am unsure what I want to do later in my life, but i am hoping to go uni and study something maths or science related. I desperately need advise on what subject I should drop and what kind of opportunities will be available for me.

Thank you in advance.
Original post by bornto623
Hello, I am a year 12 student studying History, Biology, Maths and Chemistry and I have been advised to drop one subject next year with which I agree, however I am not sure which one. Personally I would drop Chemistry as I find it the hardest and least interesting and is also my worst subject in terms of grades, however I feel like I will not have many career opportunities with the remaining subjects as they don' really go together. At the moment I am unsure what I want to do later in my life, but i am hoping to go uni and study something maths or science related. I desperately need advise on what subject I should drop and what kind of opportunities will be available for me.

Thank you in advance.

Looking at your other subjects, I personally think that dropping chemistry is fine. You still have maths (which is highly regarded), a science, and history (which is a high facilitating subject). If you're not sure, think about the grades. Often, universities care more about grades rather than subjects (I have a friend with an offer to study English at Oxford and her highest-achieving A Level is Art). Look at what UCAS says for your degree choice about what subject choices are required/excluded and what grades are needed.
Reply 2
Original post by bornto623

Thank you in advance.

Definitely drop the one you like the least! Universities do like chemistry for science because it's a kind of mediator between physics and biology so it links in with a lot, but if you don't find chemistry interesting then chances are you won't be pursuing a degree too chemistry-related anyway. Plus, most of the important base chemistry knowledge is laid down in first year (ie physical chemistry, basic organics etc).
I don't know about you, but when I'm not passionate about a subject I find it way harder to revise for it, so I'd say follow your gut and drop the one you don't enjoy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest