The Student Room Group

2017 GCSE Sociology Predictions

Scroll to see replies

does no one do power here? :frown: goodluck everyone
any planning on sociology for alevel?
have you guys done the sociology unit 2 paper or just doing these predictions cos they could be correct as she got unit 1 correct??
Original post by tanisha04
Thank you! you are honestly a godsend, the document that you sent however doesn't let me view it as it says i don't have permission?

Haha, I'm just trying to help but thank you ! And does it say that you can request access?
If it does send a request and I'll approve it so you can view it. It should come up as a zip folder and if you download it it will have all of the docs and powerpoints inside.
Reply 63

Original post by dreamerkitten
Here's a link to my google drive with my summary notes on crime and deviance & social inequality.
I didn't make the mass media ones but they're in there - I found them online.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2EtvxT3yLG3eHZJVkVTQ0t0eEU

Hope that's helpful, they're all in a zip folder, sorry!

Thank you!
Can anyone please tell me what sociologist mean by the
Original post by DreamerBeliever
help is occupational crime just white collar crime?

Occupational crime = crime carried out in an individual's place of work, ranges from minor theft to large scale fraud. Is a type of white collar crime, carried out by professionals, often not detected as company would rather just fire the individual than take the case to court. Differs from professional/corporate/computer crime.

I actually think if this does come up as a 4 marker it would be a really weak one.
Considering they repeated a lot of material from 2014 in unit 1, maybe they'll use 2015 for unit 2 and we'll get anomie as a 4 marker... that would be fab haha.
They did ask about corporate crime in 2014, though.
Original post by S2M
Who else do you need to know in general?

Honestly, I imagine that as long as you've learnt everything covered in class and in the textbooks, you'll be fine. The textbooks I use are AQA Sociology GCSE by Grahame Coates/Terry Gilpin/Rosie Owens/Ian Woodfield and Collins Sociology for GCSE AQA by Pauline Wilson.

If you have those textbooks, it has a load of case studies which is where I get mine from.
If you don't, your teacher has probably used them anyway !
thank you, youre an angel. Hopefully i like the word anomie lool , ill make sure to check alll of the past papers just in case. How long do you time yourself for questions on each section like on each question in crime ?
Occupational crime = crime carried out in an individual's place of work, ranges from minor theft to large scale fraud. Is a type of white collar crime, carried out by professionals, often not detected as company would rather just fire the individual than take the case to court. Differs from professional/corporate/computer crime.

I actually think if this does come up as a 4 marker it would be a really weak one.
Considering they repeated a lot of material from 2014 in unit 1, maybe they'll use 2015 for unit 2 and we'll get anomie as a 4 marker... that would be fab haha.
They did ask about corporate crime in 2014, though.
Reply 68
Honestly, I imagine that as long as you've learnt everything covered in class and in the textbooks, you'll be fine. The textbooks I use are AQA Sociology GCSE by Grahame Coates/Terry Gilpin/Rosie Owens/Ian Woodfield and Collins Sociology for GCSE AQA by Pauline Wilson.

If you have those textbooks, it has a load of case studies which is where I get mine from.
If you don't, your teacher has probably used them anyway !

Oh ok thanks. For each topic, aren't there some sociologists that you need to know about?
What about policies, do you know any for Crime and Deviance and Social Inequality?
thank you, youre an angel. Hopefully i like the word anomie lool , ill make sure to check alll of the past papers just in case. How long do you time yourself for questions on each section like on each question in crime ?

Anomie is the easiest one in my opinion....
And I answer the 12 markers first, 14 minutes for each. I usually spend about 15 minutes answering the 1, 2, 4 and 5 markers overall.
I do the 1 and 2 markers in like 10 seconds haha, the 4 markers take me 2-4 minutes and I usually spend 3-5 minutes on the 5 markers. It depends how much I have to say.
Then if I have time (and space in the answer section) at the end I add more to my answers.
ngl I really do struggle with time on unit 2... :frown: I usually finish with about 2 seconds to go. I don't even get time to check over my paper
SAME , its just a great worddd!
ahhh what i do is chronological order but that wasnt to great last time as i couldnt finish. how much do you usually right?
same my main focus is time on unit 2 , i believe my knowledge is pretty solid. i usally never get time to go over and my handwriting is a messss.
GOODLUCK TOMORROW
Anomie is the easiest one in my opinion....
And I answer the 12 markers first, 14 minutes for each. I usually spend about 15 minutes answering the 1, 2, 4 and 5 markers overall.
I do the 1 and 2 markers in like 10 seconds haha, the 4 markers take me 2-4 minutes and I usually spend 3-5 minutes on the 5 markers. It depends how much I have to say.
Then if I have time (and space in the answer section) at the end I add more to my answers.
ngl I really do struggle with time on unit 2... :frown: I usually finish with about 2 seconds to go. I don't even get time to check over my paper
Original post by S2M
Oh ok thanks. For each topic, aren't there some sociologists that you need to know about?
What about policies, do you know any for Crime and Deviance and Social Inequality?

In Crime and Deviance I use the Stephen Lawrence case as an example when it comes to ethnicity and crime (institutional racism). There really isn't any specific sociologists you need to know about for this topic, just the usual marxist/feminist/functionalist approaches. Cohen's study on moral panic & deviancy amplification does overlap but not much.
For policies, they're more likely to ask about things like ASBOs, and types of punishment (like cautions, fines, community service, probation).
And measures of crime official stats/victim surveys/self report studies. example of a victim survey could be the BCS.

Mass media, I use Rupert Murdoch for an example of monopoly. You should know the hypodermic syringe approach, the uses and gratifications (blumler and katz).
Cohen's Mods and Rockers study in the '60s is a good one for moral panic/deviancy amplification.
For the violence argument, Bandura is a good one to know.
Gauntlett challenged Bandura's views, as did Peak and Fisher.
Abercrombie did a 1996 study on how black people are represented in the media.
There really aren't any policies for this topic I don't think (?)

Social Inequality
You just need to know Marx and Weber's opinions on the explanation of class.
For policies you can talk about equal pay act, and anti-discrimination laws (in trying to reduce inequalities).
Goldthorpe did a study on social mobility, 1972-74.
Crompton argued social mobility in Britain is in decline due to the change in occupational structure.

That's all that I know, any more and I think I'd be overdoing it. The policies are mainly only relevant in education and crime and deviance.
I hope that helps.
SAME , its just a great worddd!
ahhh what i do is chronological order but that wasnt to great last time as i couldnt finish. how much do you usually right?
same my main focus is time on unit 2 , i believe my knowledge is pretty solid. i usally never get time to go over and my handwriting is a messss.
GOODLUCK TOMORROW

For the 5 markers I rarely write in all of the space. I write about 2 pages for a 12 marker, 3 if I've got a lot to say and enough time lol.
My handwriting is awful when I speed write in exams oh my god, I have such nice writing but under timed conditions it's just awful. I always forget to put my name on the front of the paper in block caps as well, I only realised yesterday that you're supposed to do that....
It mustn't matter bc I did 5 exams last year with my name not in capitals and they still got marked lol
Original post by twobunny
have you guys done the sociology unit 2 paper or just doing these predictions cos they could be correct as she got unit 1 correct??

Honestly, just because I got a couple right for unit 1 I wouldn't go by my predictions for unit 2. I could be completely wrong for unit 2.
Revise everything is all I can say :smile:
Can anyone explain what anomie is?
Reply 75
How long do you typically spend on a 12 mark question? My time management skills are so poor that I barely just manage to finish one. I only just scraped a C on both units in my mocks because I left out a whole 12 marker
Original post by Skyrim
How long do you typically spend on a 12 mark question? My time management skills are so poor that I barely just manage to finish one. I only just scraped a C on both units in my mocks because I left out a whole 12 marker

Plan in the exam is go through 1/2/4/5 markers as quickly as possible so I am left with about 15 minutes for the 12 marker...
Reply 77
I usually waste half that time thinking of what i should write but I guess i will make a small table with a yes and no side - will probably make it easier for me

thanks
Original post by Skyrim

15 minutes max; better to try and get it done in 12. You're probably writing too much! Aim for a page and a half as a kind of gauge.
Do the 1 and 2 markers as quick as possible.
Reply 79
In Crime and Deviance I use the Stephen Lawrence case as an example when it comes to ethnicity and crime (institutional racism). There really isn't any specific sociologists you need to know about for this topic, just the usual marxist/feminist/functionalist approaches. Cohen's study on moral panic & deviancy amplification does overlap but not much.
For policies, they're more likely to ask about things like ASBOs, and types of punishment (like cautions, fines, community service, probation).
And measures of crime official stats/victim surveys/self report studies. example of a victim survey could be the BCS.

Mass media, I use Rupert Murdoch for an example of monopoly. You should know the hypodermic syringe approach, the uses and gratifications (blumler and katz).
Cohen's Mods and Rockers study in the '60s is a good one for moral panic/deviancy amplification.
For the violence argument, Bandura is a good one to know.
Gauntlett challenged Bandura's views, as did Peak and Fisher.
Abercrombie did a 1996 study on how black people are represented in the media.
There really aren't any policies for this topic I don't think (?)

Social Inequality
You just need to know Marx and Weber's opinions on the explanation of class.
For policies you can talk about equal pay act, and anti-discrimination laws (in trying to reduce inequalities).
Goldthorpe did a study on social mobility, 1972-74.
Crompton argued social mobility in Britain is in decline due to the change in occupational structure.

That's all that I know, any more and I think I'd be overdoing it. The policies are mainly only relevant in education and crime and deviance.
I hope that helps.

Thanks so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending