The Student Room Group

Too late to apply for sixth form?

zzzz
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rhaegart
Here's my problem, I don't think I'll be able to study what I want at the sixth form at my school.

I'm mainly getting a's and a* but I'm really struggling with maths. I can get the standard requirement for maths (I've been getting 4s and 5s which is a pass) which will let me get into sixth form but that'll probably be about it. My school's sixth form is really keen to get people with high levels in maths to the point where if I was to stay here the only subjects I'd actually be able to take would be: drama, moving arts, p.e, photography, English and French. While French is a good subject that I actually want to continue learning the others really don't appeal to me. This is because either I don't think I'd be too good at it or because I just don't think it'll help me in the future.

So I applied a couple of days ago for another sixth form which has requirements that I can easily get. They want a's but only for the subjects linked for that subject (e.g. the only requirement for biology is an a in science which I can get) or a 6 in English (which is actually one of my best subjects). They want students to pass maths of course but they said that they'd have no problems accepting people with only a 4 (although I won't be able to take subjects like physics which won't be a problem as I'm definitely not considering taking it).

The only issue that I have is that I applied a few days late. They said they wanted people to have applied by the 1st of May but would still consider anyone who applies later (although that would be after they've looked at everyone else) and I handed in my slip on the 4th of May. I know one other person who has been getting quite similar grades to me if not lower who managed to get in but I think they handed it in beforehand. Seeing as I didn't hand it in too late do you think there's any possibility for me to get in?

A lot of colleges accept students after the deadline, though it is often worked on a first come bases if they are oversubscribed, so this is the issue you may have. Although bear in mind many people apply to more than one college so places may be available at results day.

I wouldn't worry but if you want to check, you could contact the college and just ask them if your application was received and has gone through, or if you were too late and don't stand much chance.

Good luck in your GCSEs :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by brainzistheword
A lot of colleges accept students after the deadline, though it is often worked on a first come bases if they are oversubscribed, so this is the issue you may have. Although bear in mind many people apply to more than one college so places may be available at results day.

I wouldn't worry but if you want to check, you could contact the college and just ask them if your application was received and has gone through, or if you were too late and don't stand much chance.

Good luck in your GCSEs :smile:

Thanks for the reply! I did that and I got an email saying they'd give me an interview :smile:
Original post by Rhaegart
Thanks for the reply! I did that and I got an email saying they'd give me an interview :smile:

Well done and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest