The Student Room Group

Caught 'writing' after exam finished - please help :(

I had an exam today. After the end of the exam time was called, I looked back through my paper and saw that I labelled one of the questions wrong. I picked up my pen to change it quickly and in that split second an invigilator came rushing towards me, grabbed my paper and shouted at me that he was going to report me! It was literally seconds after the exam ended and I didn't even write anything, I barely scribbled a letter out. I was humiliated, forced to stay behind after everyone had left, wait 45 minutes for someone from the examinations office to come down and then had to fill out an exam offenses form.

I explained what happened on the form, although I was really stressed out/crying so I probably could have written more but just wanted to get out of the room. I was told that my university department would make the decision on what would happen and that was it.

I have no idea what will happen now, I feel so utterly miserable and so worried about what the repercussions could be. I've never had any issues like this before. Does anyone have any experience or any idea what could happen? Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hopefulbutterfly
I had an exam today. After the end of the exam time was called, I looked back through my paper and saw that I labelled one of the questions wrong. I picked up my pen to change it quickly and in that split second an invigilator came rushing towards me, grabbed my paper and shouted at me that he was going to report me! It was literally seconds after the exam ended and I didn't even write anything, I barely scribbled a letter out. I was humiliated, forced to stay behind after everyone had left, wait 45 minutes for someone from the examinations office to come down and then had to fill out an exam offenses form.

I explained what happened on the form, although I was really stressed out/crying so I probably could have written more but just wanted to get out of the room. I was told that my university department would make the decision on what would happen and that was it.

I have no idea what will happen now, I feel so utterly miserable and so worried about what the repercussions could be. I've never had any issues like this before. Does anyone have any experience or any idea what could happen? Please help!

It would very likely just be a warning, considering you didn't really say much.

Get your Teachers/ Lecturers to back you.
I feel so bad for you
First of all, don't worry!!! It isn't the end of the world. You said you have never done this before so your teachers will know you weren't cheating or anything. If you have to speak to them again, explain that under pressure you didnt think clearly and when you saw the error you had to change it. Also express you didn't actually do it so u can easily say you were about to stop yourself anyway. I have seen other pupils have this problem in my exam and they stayed after school, however they didn't face any serious repercussions and were just given a warning. The worst that could happen is that they don't grade your exam however, this is unlikely because you didn't cheat or try to communicate with anyone. I think you may get a warning or be made to do something like a detention. Trust me though, don't worry it was probably really scary in the exam but remeber they want you to pass just as much as you do. Keep me posted x
(edited 6 years ago)

Agree its a warning. I cant ever remember having invigilators like that. I used to get an extra few seconds just flling name in if I hadnt.

You say you didnt write anything then you say you barely scribbled a letter out. I wouldnt worry from the version you have given.

I suppose in future if you have such a situation then get invigilators permission pointing out it is a mislabel and you dont need to change the actual answer.
Original post by 999tigger
Agree its a warning. I cant ever remember having invigilators like that. I used to get an extra few seconds just flling name in if I hadnt.

You say you didnt write anything then you say you barely scribbled a letter out. I wouldnt worry from the version you have given.

I suppose in future if you have such a situation then get invigilators permission pointing out it is a mislabel and you dont need to change the actual answer.

I can't remember if I managed to scribble it only or if I managed to write the new label down. But even if I did it write, it was only a label (A, B, C etc) I didn't write a single thing down that was exam content, hopefully that's still ok? :frown:
I can't remember if I managed to scribble it only or if I managed to write the new label down. But even if I did it write, it was only a label (A, B, C etc) I didn't write a single thing down that was exam content, hopefully that's still ok? :frown:

Yes make that point, then. Have you notified your tutor? I think youll be fine.
Original post by RazorM
It would very likely just be a warning, considering you didn't really say much.

Get your Teachers/ Lecturers to back you.

I really hope you're right. Do you think I should email the lecturer who's module it is? She's quite nice. Although I think the report has to go through the whole department
Reply 8
Invigilators at my university couldn't be bothered. We had one who would sit at the back and read a book. We even had a time when our teacher made the invigilators leave and then she left the room herself, mind you this was at PhD level.

It's not bad getting £12 an hour to read a book for a few hours.

Even if they saw you cheating, they couldn't be bothered to go through with the hassle of reporting it.
Reply 9
I really hope you're right. Do you think I should email the lecturer who's module it is? She's quite nice. Although I think the report has to go through the whole department

Yep you should e-mail her, or face to face tomorrow would be better but if you aren't seeing her this week an e-mail should do.

Good luck man!
Reply 10
one time i was busy writing over my pencil marks in pen and was just about finishing when the time was up. got my paper taken a few seconds later, i'd already finished it by then. i was genuinely upset so i just cried a lot, said i wasn't writing answers down, and they let me off
Original post by Arima
one time i was busy writing over my pencil marks in pen and was just about finishing when the time was up. got my paper taken a few seconds later, i'd already finished it by then. i was genuinely upset so i just cried a lot, said i wasn't writing answers down, and they let me off

Lol I was crying my eyes out for a full 30 minutes, wasn't even offered a tissue or allowed to leave my seat :/
Original post by RazorM
Yep you should e-mail her, or face to face tomorrow would be better but if you aren't seeing her this week an e-mail should do.

Good luck man!

I've emailed both the lecturer and my personal tutor. Thanks! I feel better for making this thread
Reply 13
I've emailed both the lecturer and my personal tutor. Thanks! I feel better for making this thread

Obviously all thanks to me xD
lol. In a few of my exams our invigilator was just an old man having a nap at the front. During one exam he woke himself up with the sound of his own snoring.

That was at Alevel though. I don't do exams at uni :biggrin:

Probably just a warning you were a bit stupid you also might be capped at 40%.
Been told I have a meeting this Friday with the heads of my department. Not sure what to expect but I hope to god it's just a warning
One thing I will say is to not worry about marking a question number wrong... I once left one completely blank and I don't feel as though I lost any marks for that :smile:
Lol I was crying my eyes out for a full 30 minutes, wasn't even offered a tissue or allowed to leave my seat :/

Wow, what a bunch of ***** who have nothing better to do with there lives. I hope it's not this bad when i go to university.
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol. In a few of my exams our invigilator was just an old man having a nap at the front. During one exam he woke himself up with the sound of his own snoring.

That was at Alevel though. I don't do exams at uni :biggrin:

Uni is a lot different, they're actively watching and there's been a few times people have been caught cheating, the invigilator literally comes and rips up your paper in front of you, it's brutal.

Quick Reply

Latest