American Summer Camp Watch

This discussion is closed.
Angelica
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I was thinking of being a counsellor at an America summer camp next year. I was wondering if any one had done it, and if so, what was it like? Also which company would you recommend to go with? So far, I've looked at Bunac, CampAmerica and CCUSA.
Fleffzilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wrong forum, perhaps...
Biggus Dickus
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
Wrong forum, perhaps...
Wrong country
AATTMM
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope, because they take people from around the world - that's the whole point.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've contemplated it, but never actually did it, and now I doubt I will as I need the summer to earn money. I have a friend who went out there last year and had a great time though.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Angelica)
Oops I wasn't really sure where to post it.
This is the right forum.

I was a junior counselor for a week at a christian camp last year, and I had a cousin who was a counselor at a camp for the diabled. It is pretty fun. But I live in the U.S. so it's worth it.
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was thinking of being a counsellor at an America summer camp next year. I was wondering if any one had done it, and if so, what was it like? Also which company would you recommend to go with? So far, I've looked at Bunac, CampAmerica and CCUSA.
Good luck, whatever you do.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I dont think i could stand sitting round a camp fire singing Kumbyar (sp) for three months. :eek:
cardinal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Definitely go for it, it's great fun (although pretty exhausting). The agencies all offer similar services so I would just go for the one that give you the best deal. I went with Camp America in 2001 then returned with BUNAC in 2002. You'll find it easier to get a placement if you have experience of working with kids, especially if you've coached sports teams etc. References are really important and will make all the difference.
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had planned to go next year, but with one thing and another I've decided to give it a miss until I finish uni. (My subject will involve summer trips hopefully!) But I'm still set on doing it at some point! I met someone at a camp I helped at over the summer who had just returned from her second (maybe third?) summer working with Camp America. I aksed her millions of questions which finally led me into deciding not just yet! She advised that Camp America paid most highly and you actually get quite a good level of choice on whereabouts you go, whereas CCUSA decide on your behalf. (You can even choose the camp in some cases!) They're also more flexible with times and lengths of stay etc. Camp America also pay for the standard flights, if you find one cheaper they let you keep the difference!

They do seem really fun, one of my sister's friends goes every summer and travels around for a fortnight after the camp, which is all paid for with the money earnt!
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had planned to go next year, but with one thing and another I've decided to give it a miss until I finish uni. (My subject will involve summer trips hopefully!) But I'm still set on doing it at some point! I met someone at a camp I helped at over the summer who had just returned from her second (maybe third?) summer working with Camp America. I aksed her millions of questions which finally led me into deciding not just yet! She advised that Camp America paid most highly and you actually get quite a good level of choice on whereabouts you go, whereas CCUSA decide on your behalf. (You can even choose the camp in some cases!) They're also more flexible with times and lengths of stay etc. Camp America also pay for the standard flights, if you find one cheaper they let you keep the difference!

They do seem really fun, one of my sister's friends goes every summer and travels around for a fortnight after the camp, which is all paid for with the money earnt!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Katie - Peak 2005 Service Team. Be there.
Whats_The_411?
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

wooooooooo I want to be a counsellor :cool:

One of my sisters friends did it a while ago tho. She loved it. I would have done it if I wasnt going to uni.
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Katie - Peak 2005 Service Team. Be there.
Is it a Midlands thing?
Everyone keeps asking me!! I don't know anything about it though!
Eurojam 2005; signed up for that as well, & GOLD maybe (INTOPS weekend soon!), Peak 2005 ...another summer full of Guiding!

I may need some digging time; I'll have to find out before I commit to anything more!!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Katie J)
Is it a Midlands thing?
Everyone keeps asking me!! I don't know anything about it though!
Eurojam 2005; signed up for that as well, & GOLD maybe (INTOPS weekend soon!), Peak 2005 ...another summer full of Guiding!

I may need some digging time; I'll have to find out before I commit to anything more!!
Peak is an international Scout camp in Derbyshire, and it's BIG - ~6000 Scouts and Guides I think you can still apply for Service team, at least I hope so, as me and my green hat brigade want to go to something next year (and we won't get parachute fever there )

Where/when is Eurojam? Might consider that if we can't get Peak.
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Peak is an international Scout camp in Derbyshire, and it's BIG - ~6000 Scouts and Guides I think you can still apply for Service team, at least I hope so, as me and my green hat brigade want to go to something next year (and we won't get parachute fever there )

Where/when is Eurojam? Might consider that if we can't get Peak.

Eurojam... http://www.eurojam.org/english/index.php
I don't know much about that either! They sent me an email saying they'd be in touch.

Parachute fever? :confused: What's that?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Eurojam... http://www.eurojam.org/english/index.php
I don't know much about that either! They sent me an email saying they'd be in touch.

Parachute fever? :confused: What's that?
Eeek - it costs £340 :eek: I can't afford that!

You didn't hear about parachute fever? I explained that damn term about 100 times on MAGIC. Ok...here's the story:
At World Camp 1999 at Foxlease, there were about 3000 girls there, and no men. At all. All good, no real problems with that. However, at the opening ceremony, some Army parachutists came down with the World Flag and brought it up to the flagpole to be raised. Now, this parachute man was not particularly good looking, but he was male, and surrounded by 3000 girls, who totally and utterly went nuts for him. Ever since then, at every Guiding event I've been on, I've always noticed (and so have others) that if there is a boy/man within sniffing distance, loads of girls will go oh-so-silly over them. Note how popular the yellow-t-shirted site staff at Beaudesert were.

When I told the above story to my Mexico group last year, they confirmed my suspicions, and thanks to the original man about whom the observation was made, this phenomenon is parachute fever (and subsequently, the corner of wall outside the site office, where all the girls used to go and giggle at the boys, is parachute corner). We're trying to spread the use of the word in Guiding circles, and at the same time in doing so we prevent ourselves from catching it!
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Eeek - it costs £340 :eek: I can't afford that!

You didn't hear about parachute fever? I explained that damn term about 100 times on MAGIC. Ok...here's the story:
At World Camp 1999 at Foxlease, there were about 3000 girls there, and no men. At all. All good, no real problems with that. However, at the opening ceremony, some Army parachutists came down with the World Flag and brought it up to the flagpole to be raised. Now, this parachute man was not particularly good looking, but he was male, and surrounded by 3000 girls, who totally and utterly went nuts for him. Ever since then, at every Guiding event I've been on, I've always noticed (and so have others) that if there is a boy/man within sniffing distance, loads of girls will go oh-so-silly over them. Note how popular the yellow-t-shirted site staff at Beaudesert were.

When I told the above story to my Mexico group last year, they confirmed my suspicions, and thanks to the original man about whom the observation was made, this phenomenon is parachute fever (and subsequently, the corner of wall outside the site office, where all the girls used to go and giggle at the boys, is parachute corner). We're trying to spread the use of the word in Guiding circles, and at the same time in doing so we prevent ourselves from catching it!

Actually, now you've explained it I do remember it, though not with the story about parachutes! We were both helping at Ivanhoe's Castle if I remember rightly, I think I caught the end of a conversation regarding the paramedics! Something about being 20 (and old!) and therefore 18 year olds not being right anymore! You're very right though, it does indeed happen! I had one girl in my group thinking wasps were a great way to seek male attention!
Did those guys actually do anything? There were always the same few hanging about...I had a cheer for recognising Thin Lizzy music as I walked past! (High-light of the day for those with me at the time!)
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Actually, now you've explained it I do remember it, though not with the story about parachutes! We were both helping at Ivanhoe's Castle if I remember rightly, I think I caught the end of a conversation regarding the paramedics! Something about being 20 (and old!) and therefore 18 year olds not being right anymore! You're very right though, it does indeed happen! I had one girl in my group thinking wasps were a great way to seek male attention!
Did those guys actually do anything? There were always the same few hanging about...I had a cheer for recognising Thin Lizzy music as I walked past! (High-light of the day for those with me at the time!)
Yeah, it was mostly the younger members of service team who were going for anyone and anything in trousers (OK, men, I mean, as most of us were in trousers for the week). And yes, I remember that conversation, but not that it was with you Did you see the graffiti boards they had there? No, I don't think that the paramedics did much, but one of them was mean to me for being a medic :rolleyes:

Anyway, we've somewhat hijacked this, I think we should save reminiscing for CUSAGC
Katie J
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, it was mostly the younger members of service team who were going for anyone and anything in trousers (OK, men, I mean, as most of us were in trousers for the week). And yes, I remember that conversation, but not that it was with you Did you see the graffiti boards they had there? No, I don't think that the paramedics did much, but one of them was mean to me for being a medic :rolleyes:

Anyway, we've somewhat hijacked this, I think we should save reminiscing for CUSAGC
:eek: I've been recruited to a society already!!! (always planned to anyway but that's not important!)
I witnessed the Jordan love expressed on said boards! (I was there! You sure you know who I am & that you're not just humouring me?!)

Hmmm hijacking...sorry everyone...American camps are by all reports fantastic!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.52%
No (286)
74.48%

Watched Threads