The Student Room Group

Places that hire 14 year olds?

hi, does anyone know any places or shops e.g; Debenhams, Next or similar that hire 13-14 year olds?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bangladeshi Clothes Factories.
Chinese sweat shops.
Absolute minimum age would be 16. More commonly they'd be looking for 18 year olds though.

You'd have better luck approaching small independent shops like corner stores etc although there's a good chance it'll be cash in hand money and not declared.
Secondary school
Reply 5
Just stay in bed:wink:
Reply 6
Do paper rounds, offer to clean up people's homes and do their gardening.
Anything cash in hand.

I did some work as a painter and decorator at that age.
Paper rounds is probably your best bet, 99.9% of employers won't take you on until you're 16 and since minimum wage doesn't kick in until you're 16 you could end up getting paid like £2 an hour
Original post by Jackieox
Paper rounds is probably your best bet, 99.9% of employers won't take you on until you're 16 and since minimum wage doesn't kick in until you're 16 you could end up getting paid like £2 an hour

I agree.
Plus you dont have a national insurance number.
Any job you do you won't have any employment rights.
why do you want to work so young?? the minimum age is 16
Original post by Jmeme10
just ask your parents for money idiot

Not everyone has that luxury, regrettably.
Ask you local shops if they need a paper boy and be willing to do extra work.

You could buy old PS4, Xbox games and re sell them on Ebay.
independant cafes, restaurants, shops. Run by families. A lot of them won't care.

Not Tesco, Asda, etc.

Original post by Jmeme10
just ask your parents for money idiot

Your mummy and daddy pay for everything? :smile: That's nice dear :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
How about offer to wash people's cars for a tenner? And dog walking maybe?
Reply 16
Original post by ChickenMadness
independant cafes, restaurants, shops. Run by families. A lot of them won't care.

Not Tesco, Asda, etc.

Your mummy and daddy pay for everything? :smile: That's nice dear :smile:

my bmw.jpg unlucky worker bee, lets see your car
crap car.. my dad bentley and mum has BMW m4
Walking dogs for an old neighbour or baby sitting. Put up fliers in your local area if you need to with your contact number so anyone who needs the service can contact you.
Worker bees are valuable and do their bit to sustain their hive, which in this case represents your local economy, what do you do? use all of your parents money and do nothing yourself...If we're sticking with the nature metaphors, you are most likely the slug

Quick Reply

Latest