Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Current Year 12 potential Optoms:

What A-Levels are everyone studying? Where do you want to study?
    You can clear all your doubts on here or discuss your plans/problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indyyyy)
    Hey

Hi I'm hoping to study optometry in 2018 too!
    I take Maths Chemistry Music and Business, I really regret not taking biology tbh but it should be ok as the places I've looked at require 2 sciences.
    I'm want to apply for Cardiff, Manchester and Anglia Ruskin so far but don't know where else yet.
    And a question - do you have a lot of relevant work experience becuase I have a lot of office work experience and a week in a bakery, and have a few days planned in specsavers but I'm scared it won't be enough?

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, History and Economics. Optometry is a potential choice for me, but I'm not certain yet.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm a 2nd Year Optom (soon to be 3rd year!) at Manchester University. If you guys have any questions about Optometry or Manchester, feel free to ask me

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, a quick thanks to the user who created this thread as it will be great to speak to others in the same position and looking into the same uni prospectives

obviously i'm also a current year 12 student, i'm studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature, looking at pursuing a degree in Optometry at the moment I'm kind of tied up between Optometry and Pharmacy, at first i was so keen to go into Pharmacy but it's basically just chemistry which isn't something i think i want to do, and from what i've researched/people i've spoken to, the job oppertunities for Pharmacists have become significantly weak.
    When i came across Optometry it was a career i wanted to look into straight away- it's a profession in the medical sector, LOTS of patient contact, able to improve patients quality of life through the quality of sight, a clean and professional work environment and so on, which i think is great!
    For Optometry i've booked open days for City University of London, Aston and Hertfordshire. I looked at other universities that offer Optometry like Plymouth and Bradford, but the universities don't look great and i haven't really heard much about them when looking at other optometry threads on here...

I'm going to do my work experience this summer, i'm going to try and get experience/voluntary work at a pharmacy/chemist and also an opticians, just so i can see what both are like and then be more clear on which one i want to choose- Pharmacy or Optometry. I was wondering where people have got work experience/jobs at opticians or what sort of things ur doing that u will put on ur UCAS statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11masanda002)
    Hi everyone, a quick thanks to the user who created this thread as it will be great to speak to others in the same position and looking into the same uni prospectives

obviously i'm also a current year 12 student, i'm studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature, looking at pursuing a degree in Optometry at the moment I'm kind of tied up between Optometry and Pharmacy, at first i was so keen to go into Pharmacy but it's basically just chemistry which isn't something i think i want to do, and from what i've researched/people i've spoken to, the job oppertunities for Pharmacists have become significantly weak.
    When i came across Optometry it was a career i wanted to look into straight away- it's a profession in the medical sector, LOTS of patient contact, able to improve patients quality of life through the quality of sight, a clean and professional work environment and so on, which i think is great!
    For Optometry i've booked open days for City University of London, Aston and Hertfordshire. I looked at other universities that offer Optometry like Plymouth and Bradford, but the universities don't look great and i haven't really heard much about them when looking at other optometry threads on here...

I'm going to do my work experience this summer, i'm going to try and get experience/voluntary work at a pharmacy/chemist and also an opticians, just so i can see what both are like and then be more clear on which one i want to choose- Pharmacy or Optometry. I was wondering where people have got work experience/jobs at opticians or what sort of things ur doing that u will put on ur UCAS statement?
    I'm the same omg. I'm going between pharmacy and optometry too. I'm actually booked onto a 3 day pharmacy and chemistry summer school at UEA at the beginning of July, then I'm going to specsavers the week after on work experience so I'm planning on seeing which I think is for me then.

ReputationRep:

Ooh I'm going to City University of London on the 24th June so I might see You! I've done a couple weeks experience at an eye clinic and hospital as well as working as an Optical Consultant for a year now too . I think the things you have planned should be ample for the application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahpea282)
    I'm the same omg. I'm going between pharmacy and optometry too. I'm actually booked onto a 3 day pharmacy and chemistry summer school at UEA at the beginning of July, then I'm going to specsavers the week after on work experience so I'm planning on seeing which I think is for me then.
    hey thats a really good idea, I'm going to look into the pharmacy summer school too if they are still accepting people?

ReputationRep:
    hey thats a really good idea, I'm going to look into the pharmacy summer school too if they are still accepting people?
    Yep there's still places search for it in google it should come up!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi 11masanda002

You may not have heard much about Optometry at Bradford on here before, but there is a lot to shout about. We have an on campus Eye Clinic, where our students take on real clients for diagnostic, consultative or treatment services.

Our School of Optometry and Vision Science has the highest proportion of registered optometrists amongst its staff, so that means you would be taught by practising optometrists who understand how to deliver real world eye care to the public - not bad ay?

We have an Open Day coming up on the 24 June, which would be a great chance for you to see our facilities and talk to our lecturers and students.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask,

Emma P

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hi there,

It's great that you're planning to come to our open day. Is it this Saturday you have booked?

We have brand new simulation facilities on campus including dedicated optometry practice cubicles so you can get hands-on experience.

If you've got any questions about the course, just let us know.

Thanks,
    Heather

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys, I'm also in year 12 currently studying physics, maths, computing and French. I want to stay in London so I've booked the open day to visit City on June 24th. I'm worried about my other options like I don't know what other universities I should put down for my choices. Also, I'm worried about what to write on my personal statement as I haven't completed any form of work experience yet and want to do something related to eye care. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hey

i was thinking about studying optometry. i'm doing maths, biology, chemistry and psychology a level.
    do you think i could get in cause i got B,B,C roughly for my recent mock and my predicted grade will roughly be around here? i could possibly expect B ( or A i hope) in maths.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    I do biology chemistry and psychology. I want to study at University of Manchester hopefully. Does anyone know what sort of work experience / volunteer work is required to apply for optometry? I'm going to apply for an oxfam volunteer role and hopefully try and get work experience at my local opticians, how long should I aim to be there for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi i want to study optometry but i only wanna apply to city as im not keen to move out, how is everyone getting work experience??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey

hi, I'm considering applying for optometry however i am fearful that it could be automated in the future. What are your takes on this?

ReputationRep:
    How competitve is it to get into city for optometry??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there'snoneed)
    i was thinking about studying optometry. i'm doing maths, biology, chemistry and psychology a level.
    do you think i could get in cause i got B,B,C roughly for my recent mock and my predicted grade will roughly be around here? i could possibly expect B ( or A i hope) in maths.
    Ultimately it's at the discretion of the admission tutor, typically entry requirements are from AAA-AAB. I would assume predicted grades being within this parameter may get you an offer. Optometry is competitive so possibly looking at different courses? Ideally you do not want to apply for a course and then not get any offers
    Hope that helped...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dkpx)
    hi, I'm considering applying for optometry however i am fearful that it could be automated in the future. What are your takes on this?
    I think I share your concern on this issue but then again it could be said the same for other professions too! I don't believe that technology can completely wipe out the role since clinician to patient contact is very important.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I want to study medicine and my back up plan is optometry i haven't really done any work experience linked to optometry also how would i write a personal statement with optometry and medicinee ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.