Original post by ah_x
Yep I firmed Herts 😊

Cool! What made you decide Herts?
Reply 361
Original post by lazyastar
also firmed cardiff :smile:

Yay! :smile: What made your mind up?
Original post by N-Y
Nice! Would you mind if I asked what made your mind up?

I wanted a uni where I would have a good social life, but also be confident I was getting a good education and opportunities. Cardiff's social was really great with a close community in the department, but they are also highly ranked and have opportunities for students to go abroad and the opportunitiy to work in the Down’s Syndrome unit.
Honestly don't know much about Herts, but if you want to DM me please do!
Hi I am possibly wanting to study optometry. Could you give me an insight of what the timetable is like for first year students and if you have to come everyday.
OMG this is me! I was wondering the same
Reply 365
I'm thinking of taking a gap year before then going to university of sept 19 rather than 18 to study Optometry. What do you all think of this? Will it make a difference that I will be older... saying this i'm the oldest in my year now so i'll be almost 2 years older than people!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 366
Original post by Indyyyy
I'm thinking of taking a gap year before then going to university of sept 19 rather than 18 to study Optometry. What do you all think of this? Will it make a difference that I will be older... saying this i'm the oldest in my year now so i'll be almost 2 years older than people!

If you want to, go for it! I'm not taking one but people I know are, and they're so much happier than they were - it gives you something to look forward to post-exams... Just remember that most unis like to see some improvement or exciting addition to your application to validate the year out, but if you're only thinking about deferred entry then that shouldn't be an issue. Remember too most unis have a (small but) fair proportion of mature students roaming around, so age shouldn't really matter.
Original post by N-Y
Hey everyone... this thing still on? :smile:
I've applied for 2018 entry for Optom, main choices are Cardiff or Hertfordshire. Any potential uni buddies here?

me!!! got cardiff for 2018 entry
Hello everyone!

If anyone is considering Optometry at Plymouth this September then please see our thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5264286&p=76734524#post76734524

Thank you!

Luke

OpSoc President 2018-2019
Reply 369
Original post by SLYmeiling
me!!! got cardiff for 2018 entry

Nice! :smile:
Original post by TSR4LYF
Hey! I'm a 2nd Year Optom (soon to be 3rd year!) at Manchester University. If you guys have any questions about Optometry or Manchester, feel free to ask me :smile:

Hey! im hoping to apply to do optom in 2019. What alevel subjects did you do? and did they deduct the entry grades for you?
Just my advice to those deciding between optometry/medicine.

I finished uni 2013 and qualified 2014. After pre reg i started my second degree in medicine, but have maintained registered as an optom(locum work helps fund the way)

My advice looking back would be to pick an alternative to optometry. Within the past 4 years I have only seen optometry go downhill.
As optoms we aren't treated well, constantly asked to sell more and meet targets by admin and managerial staff, locum pay rates have been slowly decreasing as more and more optoms qualify and are desperate to find work, I recently heard a newly qualified optom was offered a salary of just 27k, after working as a pre reg on 14k (below minimum wage? - not sure), there is very little growth within community practice in terms of skills, knowledge and salary, employers will always to try to put full responsibility and liability on the optoms, sometimes in crafty ways. Also optoms are now being asked to take on more clinical responsibilities as hospital doctors offload non urgent cases, a lot of which in my opinion optoms are not trained to deal with which sometimes leads to unsafe practice.

For those of you who have the grades to study medicine but are sitting on the fence I would strongly advise applying for it. It offers a lot more in terms of development and equips you a lot better for work and life in general. Yes it takes a lot more studying ( the content of 3 years optometry is roughly covered within the first term on y1 med to give you an idea of the amount of work involved) but the opportunities you will get at the end of it is worth it. And if you really love eyes so much most Uk med schools will cover 1-2 weeks on ophthalmology wards on top of core material so you'll pick up a lot anyway (so by the end of med school you'd feel pretty comfortable on an eye casualty unit - optoms wouldn't). Plus ophthalmology is an option after foundation programme.

And if you don't get into med, go into something more mentally challenging. I always felt that optometry was a part course and tbh could be taught in a year if it were taught full time. Also when I was studying optom most of the people in my cohort were failed med applicants, and so there was always this negativity amongst the year group and everyone feeling they were better than everyone else - a very surreal atmosphere. Med school you wont get that - everyone's there because they want to be.

Anyway that's my advice for those deciding between med and optom.

Feel free to ask any q's and I'll try to help.
Original post by TSR4LYF
Hey! I'm a 2nd Year Optom (soon to be 3rd year!) at Manchester University. If you guys have any questions about Optometry or Manchester, feel free to ask me :smile:

What's the teaching style like? Is it more independent learning or do they reach you more? Do you think the teachers are supportive and do they teach well? Do you find lectures boring or fun? Are the lecture halls jam packed?
i was hoping someone could tell me how lenient manchester are. say i get abb will they let me in?
hey has anyone who firmed cardiff, have you guys applied for accommodation yet?
Reply 375
Original post by SLYmeiling
hey has anyone who firmed cardiff, have you guys applied for accommodation yet?

Hi I firmed Cardiff, applied for accommodation a couple of weeks ago :smile: there's a fair few places which are really close to the optom building, and so I based my application on that as a factor, as well obviously as living style
Did anglia Ruskin go into clearing last year? If so what were the lowest grades taken on? @Anglia Ruskin University
(edited 5 years ago)
At Manchester university how much support do you get whilst doing your dissertation module. I'm slightly worried because on my interview day I saw a lot of stressed out students
Also, how did people decide on which university to put as firm and insurance because I still have no clue.
What are your options?

Original post by mariyah75
Also, how did people decide on which university to put as firm and insurance because I still have no clue.

Latest