Georgina.martina
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm just wondering if psychology is classed as an applied science? the subject contains psychological methods and findings of scientific behaviours so i'm just unsure weather uni's class it as a science or not?
Elle_w
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Georgina.martina)
I'm just wondering if psychology is classed as an applied science? the subject contains psychological methods and findings of scientific behaviours so i'm just unsure weather uni's class it as a science or not?
I'm doing a Bachelor of science (BSc) psychology degree, so yes some uni's do class it as a science. I'm not sure if all of them do though. I think it depends how much of the degree is made up of research methods and statistics/ experimental.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Georgina.martina
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Elle_w)
I'm doing a Bachelor of science (BSc) psychology degree, so yes some uni's do class it as a science. I'm not sure if all of them do though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive been looking into forensic science and derby uni states you need a C at A Level in biology or equivalent which includes applied sciences and BTEC sciences. I was unsure weather derby would accept my psychology a level as an applied science. sorry if i want clear enough at the beginning.
Elle_w
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ive been looking into forensic science and derby uni states you need a C at A Level in biology or equivalent which includes applied sciences and BTEC sciences. I was unsure weather derby would accept my psychology a level as an applied science. sorry if i want clear enough at the beginning.
Okay, when I applied for uni they did count my a level psychology as a science along with biology. Does this help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Phone them and ask them then.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Derby may consider psychology A-level for that, but as prior posters noted, your best bet is to ask them directly. Not all will consider it a science subject at A-level; Cambridge doesn't, for example (in fact they don't even classify their psychology degree as a science really), but I imagine this isn't relevant for your interests as they don't offer Forensic Science. It could be they're looking for specifically applicants who have had lab experience as in typical A-level sciences or in BTEC applied science courses. In this case psych probably wouldn't make the cut.

For the more general case, that's more of a philosophical debate. Psychologists certainly like to think they're scientists, but blind application of reductionist methods doesn't a scientist make
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Derby may consider psychology A-level for that, but as prior posters noted, your best bet is to ask them directly. Not all will consider it a science subject at A-level; Cambridge doesn't, for example (in fact they don't even classify their psychology degree as a science really), but I imagine this isn't relevant for your interests as they don't offer Forensic Science. It could be they're looking for specifically applicants who have had lab experience as in typical A-level sciences or in BTEC applied science courses. In this case psych probably wouldn't make the cut.

For the more general case, that's more of a philosophical debate. Psychologists certainly like to think they're scientists, but blind application of reductionist methods doesn't a scientist make
I'm curious where you get the text in bold from- i've studied/worked at cambs uni have 0 idea what your on about.

I was expecting this thread to be ANOTHER thread on the philosophy of science, was quite amused when i read the actual question. As everyone else says, you need to email the admissions department. Psychology is usually lumped in with other science subjects when your applying for psychology degree, however it usually isn't an entry requirement for any other degree.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
I'm curious where you get the text in bold from- i've studied/worked at cambs uni have 0 idea what your on about.

I was expecting this thread to be ANOTHER thread on the philosophy of science, was quite amused when i read the actual question. As everyone else says, you need to email the admissions department. Psychology is usually lumped in with other science subjects when your applying for psychology degree, however it usually isn't an entry requirement for any other degree.
The "new" PBS tripos has the arts course entry requirements, i.e. is one grade lower than for science courses. Also the former course was only through the social science tripos and so again, was somewhat divorced.

Of course, there is a significant presence of it scientifically, as you can do psychology and neuroscience through the natural sciences tripos, but it's a different course to the "pure" psychology course of PBS (and it's predecessor(s)).

Plus one you get beyond the undergrad/masters stage it's really an arbitrary philosophical distinction as you'll be applying to anyone you can for grant money regardless
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The "new" PBS tripos has the arts course entry requirements, i.e. is one grade lower than for science courses. Also the former course was only through the social science tripos and so again, was somewhat divorced.

Of course, there is a significant presence of it scientifically, as you can do psychology and neuroscience through the natural sciences tripos, but it's a different course to the "pure" psychology course of PBS (and it's predecessor(s)).

Plus one you get beyond the undergrad/masters stage it's really an arbitrary philosophical distinction as you'll be applying to anyone you can for grant money regardless
Haha not sure what's worse, defining whether psychology is seen as a science by whether it requires one vs. two A*s at a level, or by how much neuroscience it has :')
username2281303
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep, it's considered a social science. Or applied biology to some. It's highly, highly, HIGHLY popular.
Obviously though, it lacks the same respect as the 3 purer sciences, but it is technically scientific
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
Haha not sure what's worse, defining whether psychology is seen as a science by whether it requires one vs. two A*s at a level, or by how much neuroscience it has :'
This was an observation of the treatment of the course by the specific university following the note that the don't consider the a level a science, which was the relevant part of the post in relation to OPs post
Lord Asriel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Strictly speaking, as psychology attempts to systematically study human behaviour often by using measurement and other empirical approaches and derive non falsifiable therories it would be a science. However, in reality Psychology is a very broad church ranging from the harder end (neuroscience, biological psychology, epigenetics) to the softer end where it bleeds into art (Psychodynamic therapy, Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis). As humans tend not to behave as orderedly or as predictably as chemicals in a lab or laws of physics (natural sciences), so is often classed as a social science, along with subjects like economics or sociology.

It can be pure/theoretical in an academic context where it focusses on ideas (e.g. Cognitive psychology, research methods) or applied (e.g. Clinical Psychology, Forensic Psychology) where it's approach is used to tackle real world problems.
Zactopus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
for the purposes of university applications it depends on the university and course. some will count a-level psychology as a science and others wont. check prospectuses carefully they might list what they consider a science, if they don't then call them up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.11%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.81%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.34%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.91%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.41%

Watched Threads