ENough of "the polls have been wrong before!"

Watch
ableambler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The polls have been wrong when there is little to separate the parties. 1992, 2015 and Brexit all had close polls. This election does not have close polls. But if the polls are wrong this time, then opinion polling needs to be discarded, or the pollsters are using seriously flawed statistics.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Any form of prediction is flawed. Be is the weather forecast, opinion polls or traffic modelling. But it is done because there is demand for it. But no one can accurately and consistently predict the future.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ableambler)
The polls have been wrong when there is little to separate the parties. 1992, 2015 and Brexit all had close polls. This election does not have close polls. But if the polls are wrong this time, then opinion polling needs to be discarded, or the pollsters are using seriously flawed statistics.
In 2015 telephone pollsters gave the Tories a consistent lead. In Brexit, polling was suggesting Leave ahead pre-Cox.

The people who think polls are wrong are the people who believe the media interpretation of polls.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends what you mean by "wrong". For example, in purely statistical terms, the French election polling was probably more "wrong" that the Brexit polling was - it underpredicted Macron's vote share by a good 3 or 4 points. But that didn't remotely change the result, and so no-one noticed.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ableambler)
Completely agree, the polling companies say themselves that they are accurate within a couple of percent

Posted from TSR Mobile
SomeGuyHere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The polls are hardly ever correct. 1992 they said it would be a hung parliament (major got a majority). 1997 they overestimated the labour win(it wasn't anywhere near the landslide they thought it would be despite the fact it WAS a massive landslide). This trend continued through the labour years and came to be known as the "shy tory factor".

In 2015 I'm sure you remember everyone assumed it would be a hung parliament as well.

They have, through all of my lifetime, overestimated the left and underestimated the right.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/1933
Mystery.
Report 3 years ago
Polls have been wrong before !!!!
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The thing with polls; most people don't understand what the term "margin of error" means.

Of course, the Conservative majority in 2015; Brexit, and Donald Trump's victory in America were all within the MoE. Corbyn becoming PM, is quite clearly not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads