The Student Room Group

Duke vs Cambridge, which one should I choose

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 199 dreams
Oh yes! I have an essential question to ask!(forgot to put in)
How hard is it to get into large Tech companies like Apple/Linkedin/Microsoft/Google from Cambridge versus Duke?(internship as well as job offer)
Because I heard from my seniors from Duke that Duke's pratt is a target school and most Duke students got into these companies and it is not hard. But my seniors from Cambridge told me it is not easy to get into them due to interviews and selections...
Is it actually the case? because of the UK vs US culture?
So the answer to this problem can be a real game-changer for me.
Thanks guys!

I dont know much about Duke, so i cannot comment about them. However, i think it may be okay to get into those firms from Cambridge. I heard that Cambridge folks tend to go more into finance than tech, if you are not too techy.

Secondly, if you hope to progress from Cambridge to Stanford, I dont think that you should be too worried since Stanford is in the Bay Area and would be a hotspot for recruiters from those firms.

All the best
Reply 21
Oh yes! I have an essential question to ask!(forgot to put in)
How hard is it to get into large Tech companies like Apple/Linkedin/Microsoft/Google from Cambridge versus Duke?(internship as well as job offer)
Because I heard from my seniors from Duke that Duke's pratt is a target school and most Duke students got into these companies and it is not hard. But my seniors from Cambridge told me it is not easy to get into them due to interviews and selections...
Is it actually the case? because of the UK vs US culture?
So the answer to this problem can be a real game-changer for me.
Thanks guys!

According to the alumni search on LinkedIn:
* there are 455 Cambridge alumni at Google
* and 442 from Duke

Original post by Wired_1800
I heard that Cambridge folks tend to go more into finance than tech, if you are not too techy.

Nope, more Cambridge engineering grads go into engineering positions than finance.
https://www.linkedin.com/school/4522/alumni/?facetFieldOfStudy=100331
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey guys, I have been really glad of being accepted to both Cambridge University, Engineering and Duke University(just off the waitlist). So, I have been having a hard time of choosing between Cambridge (engineering) vs Duke (engi/maths/finance+ CS double major).
Which one appears to you as a better option? I am an international student and both are without any financial assistance.
Thanks a lot!

It depends on you. If you want to go to the better university for engineering, choose Cambridge. You'll get a much better degree with a guaranteed job at the end.

If studying other subjects alongside engineering is really important to you, go to Duke.

Personally, I would choose Cambridge as I don't like the concept of a liberal arts education. Who wants an engineer who write poetry, but can't use CAD properly?
Reply 23
Original post by Wired_1800
I dont know much about Duke, so i cannot comment about them. However, i think it may be okay to get into those firms from Cambridge. I heard that Cambridge folks tend to go more into finance than tech, if you are not too techy.

Secondly, if you hope to progress from Cambridge to Stanford, I dont think that you should be too worried since Stanford is in the Bay Area and would be a hotspot for recruiters from those firms.

All the best

Okay! Thanks for your input!
I think engineering is a relatively flexible major, and it opens a lot of doors. Whether in finance, engineering, business management, banking, people want engineers haha.
Reply 24
Original post by Doonesbury
According to the alumni search on LinkedIn:
* there are 455 Cambridge alumni at Google
* and 442 from Duke

Nope, more Cambridge engineering grads go into engineering positions than finance.
https://www.linkedin.com/school/4522/alumni/?facetFieldOfStudy=100331

Yep, I realized this number. But given that Cambridge has a larger engineering department and a larger number of alumni, the percentage of people getting into Google might be a bit less. However, on the other hand, since Google is a US company, this cannot be avoided LOLZ.
Anyways, if we look at a UK company, this stats may be the other way around haha.
Reply 25
Original post by Adam_1999
It depends on you. If you want to go to the better university for engineering, choose Cambridge. You'll get a much better degree with a guaranteed job at the end.

If studying other subjects alongside engineering is really important to you, go to Duke.

Personally, I would choose Cambridge as I don't like the concept of a liberal arts education. Who wants an engineer who write poetry, but can't use CAD properly?

Haha, nice example at the end! The thing I wish to pick up other than engineering knowledge is not exactly humanity, but some computer programming skills which can be very important in future careers.
And what do you mean by guaranteed job....?
Thanks
Reply 26
Yep, I realized this number. But given that Cambridge has a larger engineering department and a larger number of alumni, the percentage of people getting into Google might be a bit less. However, on the other hand, since Google is a US company, this cannot be avoided LOLZ.
Anyways, if we look at a UK company, this stats may be the other way around haha.

You effectively asked if Cambridge grads can work at companies like Google. The answer is yes.

And I guarantee no-one will just "walk" into Google (or similar) from any university. Not from Duke, not Stanford, not MIT or Cambridge.

If you prefer Cambridge over Duke, go to Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
You effectively asked if Cambridge grads can work at companies like Google. The answer is yes.

And I guarantee no-one will just "walk" into Google (or similar) from any university. Not from Duke, not Stanford, not MIT or Cambridge.

If you prefer Cambridge over Duke, go to Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, so things eventually depend on your own abilities including soft skills and hard skills. The prestige of universities can just help you clear the previous few rounds of selection, but the later rounds depend on yourself. Is this what you mean?
Reply 28
Okay, so things eventually depend on your own abilities including soft skills and hard skills. The prestige of universities can just help you clear the previous few rounds of selection, but the later rounds depend on yourself. Is this what you mean?

The "prestige" of your university is not really a huge factor. Fundamentally employers are looking for great people, not "great" universities.
Reply 29
The "prestige" of your university is not really a huge factor. Fundamentally employers are looking for great people, not "great" universities.

Alright ! Thanks ~

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending