The Student Room Group

Mature Student - Student Finance

So im a 24 year old female looking to go to Uni this year, first time at Uni with no formal qualifications. Ive been discussing the course with the uni and have got all I need in terms of the application for the course, this has been sent. I set up a student finance account yesterday, however I did not realise that as I have been supporting myself financially for the past 6 years I am an independent student. Will this be taken into account? So far the only evidence ive been asked for is my passport details and my P60's. Does anybody know how many years going back I need these for?
Original post by KayleighLouisex
So im a 24 year old female looking to go to Uni this year, first time at Uni with no formal qualifications. Ive been discussing the course with the uni and have got all I need in terms of the application for the course, this has been sent. I set up a student finance account yesterday, however I did not realise that as I have been supporting myself financially for the past 6 years I am an independent student. Will this be taken into account? So far the only evidence ive been asked for is my passport details and my P60's. Does anybody know how many years going back I need these for?

You need to show financial independence for 3 years (or 36 months - it doesn't have to be consecutive) - so 3 P60s would be ideal.

Hi,

If you've been supporting yourself financially for 3 years before your course started, you would be classed as an Independent student instead of being assessed based on your parents' income.

When supplying evidence of self-support (P60s, payslips etc.), we require 3 years worth of evidence but these can be any 3 years when you had an income, they don't have to be the most recent 3 years before you started. Therefore, the best way to be accepted is to provide the P60s for the 3 years when you earned the most.

Thanks
Original post by Chris SFE
Hi,

If you've been supporting yourself financially for 3 years before your course started, you would be classed as an Independent student instead of being assessed based on your parents' income.

When supplying evidence of self-support (P60s, payslips etc.), we require 3 years worth of evidence but these can be any 3 years when you had an income, they don't have to be the most recent 3 years before you started. Therefore, the best way to be accepted is to provide the P60s for the 3 years when you earned the most.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Thank you. The problem im having at the moment is that I will have a P60 for this year shortly. I am unable to find P60's for any of the previous years, and having contacted all previous employers all they have been able to do is provide me with a screen print of my P60 details. I have pay slips since December 2014 consecutively until today, however this does not cover a full 3 years. Would it be best for me to contact HMRC and see if I can get a statement of earnings?
Hi Chris,

Thank you. The problem im having at the moment is that I will have a P60 for this year shortly. I am unable to find P60's for any of the previous years, and having contacted all previous employers all they have been able to do is provide me with a screen print of my P60 details. I have pay slips since December 2014 consecutively until today, however this does not cover a full 3 years. Would it be best for me to contact HMRC and see if I can get a statement of earnings?

Hi,

If you send your March 2015 and March 2016 payslips these would cover two full tax years as they would show the final pay for both years and then your P60 for 2016/17 can also be sent once you've been provided one meaning you've covered 3 full years.

We can certainly accept a Statement of Earnings from HMRC though if you think this would make things easier for you.

Thanks
Hi,

If you send your March 2015 and March 2016 payslips these would cover two full tax years as they would show the final pay for both years and then your P60 for 2016/17 can also be sent once you've been provided one meaning you've covered 3 full years.

We can certainly accept a Statement of Earnings from HMRC though if you think this would make things easier for you.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

I changed Employers in February 2016 so I have my end of year payslip for this year. Would it be acceptable to send my end of year payslip for March 2016 from my current employer, and also my last payslip for the company I was working for previously? as potentially I have all of these documents :smile:

Kind Regards,
Kayleigh
Hi Chris,

I changed Employers in February 2016 so I have my end of year payslip for this year. Would it be acceptable to send my end of year payslip for March 2016 from my current employer, and also my last payslip for the company I was working for previously? as potentially I have all of these documents :smile:

Kind Regards,
Kayleigh

Hi Kayleigh,

In this case it would be best if you were able to send your P45 from your previous employer in addition to the final payslip for 2016/17. The P45 will show us when you ended your previous employment and the total you earned up to that point in the year, then we can combine this with the income on the payslip from your new employer.

Thanks
Hi Kayleigh,

In this case it would be best if you were able to send your P45 from your previous employer in addition to the final payslip for 2016/17. The P45 will show us when you ended your previous employment and the total you earned up to that point in the year, then we can combine this with the income on the payslip from your new employer.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Thank you, I will go home and search paperwork as I do not think I have a P45, I believe I started my new job and completed a P46. If I do not have the above, will it be sufficient for me to attach all payslips from employers I can find, plus the statement from HMRC. I also have a print out of all National Insurance Contributions and an electronic version on my tax account that shows all payments since I started working so I will attach this also.
Hi Chris,

Thank you, I will go home and search paperwork as I do not think I have a P45, I believe I started my new job and completed a P46. If I do not have the above, will it be sufficient for me to attach all payslips from employers I can find, plus the statement from HMRC. I also have a print out of all National Insurance Contributions and an electronic version on my tax account that shows all payments since I started working so I will attach this also.

Hi Kayleigh,

If you have any trouble gathering the evidence I've recommended then the Statement of Earnings from HMRC should certainly be acceptable on its own without having to provide any payslips or proof of NICs.

Thanks
Hi Kayleigh,

If you have any trouble gathering the evidence I've recommended then the Statement of Earnings from HMRC should certainly be acceptable on its own without having to provide any payslips or proof of NICs.

Thanks

Thanks Chris, sorry one last question. Do I have to get all of my evidence in by the 26th May? or is it just a case of starting the application before that date?

Thank you.
Thanks Chris, sorry one last question. Do I have to get all of my evidence in by the 26th May? or is it just a case of starting the application before that date?

Thank you.

Hi Kayleigh,

Ideally we would like to have the evidence by this date but as long as you have started the process by then and try to get the evidence to us as early as possible then you should have confirmation of your funding in plenty of time.

Thanks
Hi Kayleigh,

Ideally we would like to have the evidence by this date but as long as you have started the process by then and try to get the evidence to us as early as possible then you should have confirmation of your funding in plenty of time.

Thanks

Hi Chris,
Thank you. Sorry just one more question, on my application I ticked the box ‘living with parents’ even though I am an independent student, will this change the fact that only my income will be assessed? Or will I still be classed as an independent student even though I live with my mum?
Hi Chris,
Thank you. Sorry just one more question, on my application I ticked the box ‘living with parents’ even though I am an independent student, will this change the fact that only my income will be assessed? Or will I still be classed as an independent student even though I live with my mum?

Hi Kayleigh,

Even though you will be living with your mum you will still be classed as an independent student where we won't take into consideration her income. However when determining your maintenance loan support we will take into consideration that you will be living with your mum.

Thanks,

Mark
Original post by Mark SFE
Hi Kayleigh,

Even though you will be living with your mum you will still be classed as an independent student where we won't take into consideration her income. However when determining your maintenance loan support we will take into consideration that you will be living with your mum.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry just one more question. You mention it will be taken into account that im living with my mum, is that the final stance on people living with parents? The only reason I am asking is that although I live with my mum, I have been independently supporting myself since 16, as in I pay my own rent buy my own food etc, and she does not provide me with anything since I started working, and will not be helping in any way with the living costs. Are these circumstances that would be taken into account? or is it just a standard rule sort of. As I feel its not taken into account that although residing in the same house as my mother, we do not share any bills etc we are 2 completely independent people in that respect.

Kind Regards,
Hi Kayleigh,

We offer different rates of maintenance loans dependable on your living arrangements, even though we will not factor in your mums income as an independent student. You will still fall under the criteria as living with your parent instead of elsewhere.

Thanks,

Mark

Quick Reply