Isomerism resub help!!

Watch this thread
EllJune
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,

This part of my assignment has been referred for resubmission - I'm in great need of help!!

a) Using the molecular formula C4H7Cl, discuss the concept of both chain and positional isomerism. Display the structure of isomers in suitable form to illustrate the discussion. (I did do these diagrams but did them completely wrong so examples would really help).

b) Butanoic acid C3H7COOH can display functional isomerism. Discuss the meaning of functional group isomerism and use butanoic acid to illustrate this properly. Appropriate formulae should be drawn. (In this one I apparently didn't define a functional isomer or use different examples of isomers of butanoic acid)

Please help!
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EllJune)
Hey guys,

This part of my assignment has been referred for resubmission - I'm in great need of help!!

a) Using the molecular formula C4H7Cl, discuss the concept of both chain and positional isomerism. Display the structure of isomers in suitable form to illustrate the discussion. (I did do these diagrams but did them completely wrong so examples would really help).

b) Butanoic acid C3H7COOH can display functional isomerism. Discuss the meaning of functional group isomerism and use butanoic acid to illustrate this properly. Appropriate formulae should be drawn. (In this one I apparently didn't define a functional isomer or use different examples of isomers of butanoic acid)

Please help!
You understand the meaning of the word "help".

help
hɛlp/verbverb: help; 3rd person present: helps; past tense: helped; past participle: helped; gerund or present participle: helping
  1. 1. make it easier or possible for (someone) to do something by offering them one's services or resources.

What exactly so you want help with?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by charco)
You understand the meaning of the word "so".

"do"?

Sorry, couldn't help it
EllJune
Rep:
You understand the meaning of the word "help".

help
hɛlp/verbverb: help; 3rd person present: helps; past tense: helped; past participle: helped; gerund or present participle: helping
  1. 1. make it easier or possible for (someone) to do something by offering them one's services or resources.

Thanks for the sarcasm, usually that's my area of expertise.

I need help with branched chain isomers of C4H7Cl. I know there are two but I have no idea how to draw them. I also need help with drawing a few examples of positional isomers for C4H7Cl as I seem to have drawn chain isomers for these.
charco
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the sarcasm, usually that's my area of expertise.

I need help with branched chain isomers of C4H7Cl. I know there are two but I have no idea how to draw them. I also need help with drawing a few examples of positional isomers for C4H7Cl as I seem to have drawn chain isomers for these.
Positional = change the position of the chlorine on the chain.

Branched = change the position of carbon atoms so that there are branches, i.e. the main "trunk" splits into two directions, each of which leads to carbon atoms.
EllJune
Rep:
Positional = change the position of the chlorine on the chain.

Branched = change the position of carbon atoms so that there are branches, i.e. the main "trunk" splits into two directions, each of which leads to carbon atoms.
Thanks. I need two examples of positional - out of these one I did, which ones are definitely positional? Saves me figuring out anymore!
Attached files
charco
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thanks. I need two examples of positional - out of these one I did, which ones are definitely positional? Saves me figuring out anymore!
All of your "chain" isomers are positional isomers. You are changing the position of the functional groups but NOT the C-C-C-C chain structure.

With four carbons the only chain isomers are:

C-C-C-C

C4 in a circle or

C-C3

in a circle or

C2C-C which could also be written C3C
EllJune
Rep:
All of your "chain" isomers are positional isomers. You are changing the position of the functional groups but NOT the C-C-C-C chain structure.

With four carbons the only chain isomers are:

C-C-C-C

C4 in a circle or

C-C3

in a circle or

C2C-C which could also be written C3C
Thanks. How would I draw these correctly?
charco
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thanks. How would I draw these correctly?
Just hang the chlorine onto a different carbon atom ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed