The Student Room Group

Pollution and Human Health at Risk- Unit 4 Edexcel Geography A2 2017

How is everyone's preparation going? Is anyone struggling like I am to plan the report? X
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 3
Yh, I am. what are you thinking so far? what case studies do you have in mind
Reply 4
I'm so nervous about this exam >.<
Reply 5
I'm doing this exam too. Have you all planned the report first?
Reply 6
QUESTION PREDICTION:

"Economic standards of living are a key determinant in the changing causes of health risk over time. Discuss."

Any thoughts?
Reply 7
Also what definition are people going by for "economic standards of living"?
Reply 8
Original post by PeteSpin
Also what definition are people going by for "economic standards of living"?

I've gone for ' a level of subsistence or material welfare of a community,class or person.'
how much pollution are you all including??
Any good case studies that people have found?
Reply 11
Original post by frankiekingston
how much pollution are you all including??

My teacher said that you only need to include it if it talks about pollution in the question so thats what I am planning on doing :s-smilie:
Reply 12
When it says 'causes of health risk' can you speak about the type of health risk (malaria etc) as a cause or the actual cause of malaria?
Reply 13
Original post by Jw0511
When it says 'causes of health risk' can you speak about the type of health risk (malaria etc) as a cause or the actual cause of malaria?

I would think the actual cause e.g. enviromental/economic/social factors causing malaria
Reply 14
My teacher gave this as a possible question: Health risks change considerably as development occurs.Discuss.

Any ideas on concluding points.

I was thinking you could say yes they do as seen in the epidemiological transition model. But you could also argue that some health risks especially those affecting stage 4 of the model; also impact on other countries across whole development spectrum such as HIV
Original post by PeteSpin
QUESTION PREDICTION:

"Economic standards of living are a key determinant in the changing causes of health risk over time. Discuss."

Any thoughts?

That would have been great. Cant believe that the question did not even relate to causes. Did you find it alright
Honestly did not enjoy that why did they ask us to research causes to then talk about health risk frustrating :frown:
Original post by 555xxx555
That would have been great. Cant believe that the question did not even relate to causes. Did you find it alright

To be honest the question stumped me a bit - spoke about the change in industry in a more developed nation - less exercise and high mass consumption which links to Bartley and Blane's 2008 behavioural health risk model (focussed on USA). Also spoke about in developing nations health risks are falling due to an increase in aid to promote sanitation and education and gave a couple of examples (The red cross and wateraid in Mali). gave a couple of anomalies for example the Marshall Islands in the Pacific where Obesity is over 50% despite being a developing nation as well as the susceptibility of developing nations to acute communicable epidemics which targets a much broader section of the population.
Reply 18
I said that health risks were not increasing or decreasing in either developed or developing countries but instead changing type, for example in a developed country chronic diseases become more prevalent like diabetes...... Not sure if I've answered the question properly to be honest :/

Quick Reply