The Student Room Group

Midwifery 2018

Hi,

I am thinking of applying for Midwifery for 2018. I would be a mature student, I am currently 24.I was toying between teaching or midwifery at 18 but I did a teaching degree, graduating 3 years ago and I have taught ever since but I don't find it rewarding at all. I have taught a nursery class in a children's centre so have worked alongside community midwives and found what they did so rewarding.

Is anyone else thinking of applying for 2018? Am I mad wanting to do anther 3 year course? xx
Reply 1
You're not mad at all! If it's what you want to do then go for it :smile: I've just completed a 3 year degree and am starting a PgDip nursing course in Feb for another 2 years!

Good luck if you do apply :smile:
Original post by Hannah124
Hi,

I am thinking of applying for Midwifery for 2018. I would be a mature student, I am currently 24.I was toying between teaching or midwifery at 18 but I did a teaching degree, graduating 3 years ago and I have taught ever since but I don't find it rewarding at all. I have taught a nursery class in a children's centre so have worked alongside community midwives and found what they did so rewarding.

Is anyone else thinking of applying for 2018? Am I mad wanting to do anther 3 year course? xx

Hi, I have two offers to study adult nursing in September. I don't think you're mad wanting to study another 3 years to do the midwifery degree especially if you feel it is what you want to do.
Midwifery is very competitive so you will benefit from gaining work experience or voluntary experience in care (there is a sticky post on the forum with work experience ideas) some universities specify it as an entry requirement. It is not always easy to get experience in maternity (and universities know this) but anything with adults in a care setting will help. Some universities also specify recent study within the last 3-5 years so worth checking before you apply.
Going to university open days is also very helpful to learn more about the course and they normally give advice about what they want to see in personal statements and at the interview/selection day.
I hope this helps and good luck with your application.
Hi guys I just wondered...for those of you who have already completed a degree, will you then get funding to either do another 3 year degree or a GEN?? I know there are some funding changes happening soon so I'm not sure how it is going to work for 2018 entry.

Appreciate any help

Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lynetteb35
Hi guys I just wondered...for those of you who have already completed a degree, will you then get funding to either do another 3 year degree or a GEN?? I know there are some funding changes happening soon so I'm not sure how it is going to work for 2018 entry.

Appreciate any help

Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :smile:
You can still get funding from student finance if you were wanting to do a 3 year nursing course which is assessed as everyone else would be, regardless of whether you've got a precious degree or not! Or if you wanted to you can do a pgdip in nursing which is funded by the NHS and you can apply for the means tested bursarys!
Hope this helps x
Original post by han468
Hello :smile:
You can still get funding from student finance if you were wanting to do a 3 year nursing course which is assessed as everyone else would be, regardless of whether you've got a precious degree or not! Or if you wanted to you can do a pgdip in nursing which is funded by the NHS and you can apply for the means tested bursarys!
Hope this helps x

That is brilliant, thank you!! I've put everything on hold until I've found the answer I need x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending