The Student Room Group

Higher English HELP!

Hello,
This year in Higher English I am studying 'Death of a Salesman' by Arthur Miller for my critical essay in paper 2 of the exam. I am quite nervous for this exam because I feel I am not going to do well. I have been studying constantly after my prelim since I got a grade D (48%) and I've been getting good marks on my essays using notes, but I just cant get my head around writing an essay in 45 minutes without notes! I
got a grade A in National 5. Any idea of really good studying tips for critical essays? and is it possible to write an essay, memorise it, and change it about to suit the question being asked on exam day. My exam is in 2 days!!!
Original post by terribrydon01
Hello,
This year in Higher English I am studying 'Death of a Salesman' by Arthur Miller for my critical essay in paper 2 of the exam. I am quite nervous for this exam because I feel I am not going to do well. I have been studying constantly after my prelim since I got a grade D (48%) and I've been getting good marks on my essays using notes, but I just cant get my head around writing an essay in 45 minutes without notes! I
got a grade A in National 5. Any idea of really good studying tips for critical essays? and is it possible to write an essay, memorise it, and change it about to suit the question being asked on exam day. My exam is in 2 days!!!

Hi, I feel your stress! I am doing The Crucible my Arthur Miller and quite frankly, I am terrible at it :smile: what I am doing though is, I have looked on drama questions for like the past 10 years worth and I am creating essay plans on how I would go about answering them.
I was considering memorising essays but I left it to late and at this late stage, I think it is just uneccessary stress as the sqa are unpredictable so it's not guaranteed one you memorise will come up! I will reply again in 2 minutes with a lost of all questions I have prepared plans for :smile:
Original post by Amy_123xo
Hi, I feel your stress! I am doing The Crucible my Arthur Miller and quite frankly, I am terrible at it :smile: what I am doing though is, I have looked on drama questions for like the past 10 years worth and I am creating essay plans on how I would go about answering them.
I was considering memorising essays but I left it to late and at this late stage, I think it is just uneccessary stress as the sqa are unpredictable so it's not guaranteed one you memorise will come up! I will reply again in 2 minutes with a lost of all questions I have prepared plans for :smile:

Relationship
Key scene
Crucial error
Character changes
Makes you dislike a character
Conflict
Rivalry
Rejection/isolation/loneliness
Character's changing view of himself
Seeking truth/avoiding truth/hiding truth
Slow To understand seriousness of situation
Effective opening/concluding scene
Scene involving moment of conflict or resolution to conflict
Scene where a troubled relationship reaches a crisis point
Theme of power, corruption or disillusionment
Revenge/betrayal/sacrifice

What drama are you doing? 0

Sherlock222 Online
1Rep:

follow

19m ago
Report(Original post by ___Sophie___)
If anyone else is doing the crucible, how many quotes have you guys learned in total? I have 12 but I'm not sure if that is enough...…see moreI have about 20 but I think I usually only use about 12 in an average essay. I like to have a few extras so I can choose which ones to use depending on the question but if you think that your 12 quotes are enough and don't feel you're missing anything then I think that's fine. 0

Amy_123xo Online
0Rep:

16m ago
If anyone else is doing the crucible, how many quotes have you guys learned in total? I have 12 but I'm not sure if that is enough...…see moreHi, I have about the same!

12 should be fine if you can tweak them to suit different questions

Do you happen to know how to write an essay on a key scene/effective ending for The Crucible as I'm struggling?! 0

Sherlock222 Online
1Rep:

follow

15m ago
Report(Original post by chemlover13)
does anybody have a list of drama critical essay Qs from older past papers? or even just a list of all the possible types that could crop up?…see more

This is a list from a booklet from my teacher about The Crucible. They're all ones for The Crucible but you can probably use them for other dramas. It think they're from past papers but I'm not sure. 0

isla.marie Online
1Rep:

follow

14m ago
Report(Original post by Amy_123xo)
Do you happen to know how to write an essay on a key scene/effective ending for The Crucible as I'm struggling?!…see moreI wrote about John Proctor's character development, his and Elizabeth's relationship, along with stage directions. 0

___Sophie___ Online
3Rep:

follow

14m ago
Report(Original post by Sherlock222)
I have about 20 but I think I usually only use about 12 in an average essay. I like to have a few extras so I can choose which ones to use depending on the question but if you think that your 12 quotes are enough and don't feel you're missing anything then I think that's fine.…see more12 per essay? How on earth do you manage to write 12 quotes and analysis? I only do 6 0

___Sophie___ Online
3Rep:

follow

12m ago
ReportThere are some really good resources on this website

https://klms5english.wikispaces.com/...Critical+Essay

There is a document on this website called higher critical essay qs and it has loads of critical essay questions to practice 0

Amy_123xo Online
0Rep:

12m ago
12 per essay? How on earth do you manage to write 12 quotes and analysis? I only do 6 …see moreMore importantly, HOW do you even write a crucible essay!!! Last one I done I got 8... at least you can write them as I just end up retelling the story... any suggestions on how to improve?!?! 0

Sherlock222 Online
1Rep:

follow

8m ago
12 per essay? How on earth do you manage to write 12 quotes and analysis? I only do 6 …see moreI just write 4 paragraphs with about 3 quotes in each. I might not analyse all the quotes really deeply and you might so do whatever you feel comfortable with. 0

start new discussion reply tools

First

Updated: May 9, 2017<br> <br>Quick Reply

submit reply preview post