christina_tw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Did anyone apply for "Computing for Digital Media"? Shall we make a chat?
Also, can any current student give us more information on the course?
mdo125
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm about to finish my first year of this course, I'm really enjoying it so far and I'd be happy to answer any questions your have!
christina_tw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by mdo125)
Hi, I'm about to finish my first year of this course, I'm really enjoying it so far and I'd be happy to answer any questions your have!
Hi, I'd really appreciate it if you could answer some of my questions
1.Are the mathematical models, programming concepts and algorithms difficult?
2. Do you attend lectures and workshops regularly?
3. Do you have to write essays or is the course based on practical work?
4.What did you find more interesting?
5. Do you have written or practical exams?

If you have any suggestions for me to do before coming to university to study digital media, please be free to say so.
Thank you so much for your time
mdo125
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by christina_tw)
Hi, I'd really appreciate it if you could answer some of my questions
1.Are the mathematical models, programming concepts and algorithms difficult?
2. Do you attend lectures and workshops regularly?
3. Do you have to write essays or is the course based on practical work?
4.What did you find more interesting?
5. Do you have written or practical exams?

If you have any suggestions for me to do before coming to university to study digital media, please be free to say so.
Thank you so much for your time
Hi!
1. I found the maths module quite easy having done maths at A Level, a friend on my course didn't do maths A Level and found it very difficult. Luckily I was able to help a lot though and he ended up doing quite well. Programming Concepts was my hardest module last term and the algorithms module is my hardest this term but they're not awful, it's definitely a personal thing as I know a lot of people that find it easy. I still managed to get a first in it last term though, as long as you keep practicing it it should be fine.
2. I'm not the best person to ask this, my attendance is at about 70% at the moment. The university don't like it if you drop below 80% but they haven't said anything to me as of yet. All the lectures are recorded and put online so if you do miss one, it's not the worst thing in the world. It is probably best to go to as many as possible though.
3. The course is mainly practical. We've done 1 essay in first year but that was only 1500 words so it wasn't too bad. Everything else is practical coursework, some that include short essay answers but nothing more than 500 words.
4. For the first term, everyone doing Computer Sciences does the same modules so there is a lot of programming. I was really worried about this because I've never programmed before. The 2 programming modules have ended up being my favourite though. Multimedia was also great, it's especially making me look forward to next year when there'll be a lot more media modules.
5. All the exams are written. There are no long essay questions but you do have to write a decent amount.

I personally didn't do anything before coming to university just because I wasn't really sure what to do. I would definitely get a book called Objects First With Java- A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ by David J Barnes, you can find and download it online for free. Then download BlueJ and try and have a go at learning Java, if you haven't already. I also knew some HTML and CSS from previous work experience so if you don't know this, maybe use Codecademy or a similar website to learn it.

Good luck with the course! Happy to answer anymore questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.52%
I'm not sure (32)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.42%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.32%
I'm not a current university student (354)
48.36%

Watched Threads