The Student Room Group

Saving and managing money??

I'm starting uni in September 2017 and I'm really scared about money management etc. I know how to save but I feel like I'll still be in debt while at uni lol could anyone give me some tips on how to be efficient :smile:
Make a budget for each week, setting yourself amounts to spend for each area, such as food, travel and social activities. Don't overspend, stick to the budget.

Another tip is to write down what you spend, in a notebook or spreadsheet. It forces you to look at your outgoings and see which things could be cut or changed to a cheaper option.
Reply 2
Ahh thanks so much! I'll definitely do that
Extreme couponing?
Original post by Emma:-)
Extreme couponing?

Ah yes, a good idea to help reduce spending costs is using cash back sites and apps. If you are shopping online, sites like Top Cashback and Quidco will give you cash back for different stores (they normally give a free intro offer - I think Quidco are dong a free Benefit makeup offer).

There are also apps like Shopmium and Clicksnap where you photograph the receipt and they will give you cash back on a certain item, in some instances, the item will be totally refunded (free). However, the choice of items isn't great, but it lets you try new things for a low price.

Of course, loyalty cards such as Clubcard, More Card, Nectar Card, Boots Advantage Card and cards from High Street Shops will let you build up points to give you discount vouchers on future shops. A lot of places have these, and it is free to sign up. Your student card will also allow you to get Student Discounts at a lot of places too.

Look for websites such as Latest Free Stuff, Hot UK Deals and Savvy Deals UK, which will give you freebies and good deals.
Here is a spreadsheet made by a TSR user, if that's of any use to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending