anon0579
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm looking for a job and have been for about a year now, but I keep coming across two issues. One of those being that my application is being rejected so I don't get called for an interview and the other issue being applications that ask for a reference.

The applications usually state that the person you use as a reference cannot be a family member, some stating that it can't even be a distant family member. My problem is that I have no one else other than family that I can use as a reference.

I've never had a job before so I can't use a job reference nor can I use a neighbour as we have no contact with any of them and due to the kind of work that my parents do, none of those people can be used as a reference either.

I've had to resort to putting my parents down as my other family members won't let me put them down as a reference. I feel that having my parents down as a reference isn't necessarily helping me to get a job but who else can I put??
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by redpanda09)
I'm looking for a job and have been for about a year now, but I keep coming across two issues. One of those being that my application is being rejected so I don't get called for an interview and the other issue being applications that ask for a reference.

The applications usually state that the person you use as a reference cannot be a family member, some stating that it can't even be a distant family member. My problem is that I have no one else other than family that I can use as a reference.

I've never had a job before so I can't use a job reference nor can I use a neighbour as we have no contact with any of them and due to the kind of work that my parents do, none of those people can be used as a reference either.

I've had to resort to putting my parents down as my other family members won't let me put them down as a reference. I feel that having my parents down as a reference isn't necessarily helping me to get a job but who else can I put??
have you done any volunteering? if so then the person who helped you during volunteering can be a reference. Teachers can also be references, send an email to them to ask, they'll probably say yes
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

if your at college/uni you could ask/email one of your teacher for a reference failing that ask your high school
do you attend any currentenrichment activities? you could ask the "leader" for a reference if its like a sports club etc
you could go volunteer at a charity shop for a short while (annoying when i did i did need references for that too but it could be a character reference) and then get a reference there
good luck!
anon0579
(Original post by bubblegumcat)
have you done any volunteering? if so then the person who helped you during volunteering can be a reference. Teachers can also be references, send an email to them to ask, they'll probably say yes
Nope, I haven't done any volunteering. I applied for some volunteer work at a few charity shops but they said that I wasn't a suitable candidate????

I don't have an of my teachers email as I haven't been in education now for a year. (Probably should've mentioned that in my original post).
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Can you ask a teacher from school or college? You cannot use any family member at all for a reference.
username1333513
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope, I haven't done any volunteering. I applied for some volunteer work at a few charity shops but they said that I wasn't a suitable candidate????

I don't have an of my teachers email as I haven't been in education now for a year. (Probably should've mentioned that in my original post).
really? how comes they said that well keep trying to find some volunteering so you can find some references you could email your school asking about references, they probably have an email on their website
anon0579
(Original post by Muttley79)
Can you ask a teacher from school or college? You cannot use any family member at all for a reference.
Unfortunately not. I'm not a student anymore and have no contact with any of my teachers, mainly due to them moving away and getting new numbers.
anon0579
really? how comes they said that well keep trying to find some volunteering so you can find some references you could email your school asking about references, they probably have an email on their website
I'm not sure, I contacted them to ask why I wasn't suitable as the email I received back from them said to contact them if I would like to know why I wasn't accepted, but I never heard back from them.
Yeah, I'll have to try emailing my school again. Hopefully the head doesn't answer this time because apparently the school isn't allowed to give you a reference once you've left. I'm pretty sure that's some b******t though.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately not. I'm not a student anymore and have no contact with any of my teachers, mainly due to them moving away and getting new numbers.
There will be someone at school that can write a reference. We have to keep copies of records and I've written a number for students who left years ago.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Contact your school - they will hopefully be happy to give you a factual reference stating that you did indeed attend there, though they may well be unwilling to comment on your conduct. This kind of basic reference will satisfy HR at most of the places people get their first jobs after leaving school. Call the main office and ask politely.
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can still contact the school to ask for a reference - there must be a member of staff that met you who can give you the reference.

Did you do any work experience or extra curricular activities whilst you were at school? They can provide references as well.

If you are unlucky finding volunteering, ask around. Some volunteering don't ask for references. I helped out at a charity evening selling raffle tickets, setting up for the show and collecting donations. The organiser was happy to provide references for future jobs. Another volunteering placement I did was running a stall selling items for charity, which they didn't ask for references as well. It is worth looking at volunteering websites and volunteering centres (if you have one) where you can find suitable placements and discuss your needs and preferences.
hamzaahmad786
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In all the jobs I've had, I only needed a reference for one (which was a technical role and needed some evidence of prior work).
If it is a simple role, maybe the quality of your application might be the problem here?
ohhello92x
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can ask a family friend, the job I've got now, I remember I had to get a reference from previous employer/teachers and a family friend. Also, as I've already mentioned, and other people have mentioned, ask a teacher from school/college/uni through phone/email or a family friend. Also, maybe try volunteering? You can obtain a reference from volunteering after you've been there for a while

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1333513
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not sure, I contacted them to ask why I wasn't suitable as the email I received back from them said to contact them if I would like to know why I wasn't accepted, but I never heard back from them.
Yeah, I'll have to try emailing my school again. Hopefully the head doesn't answer this time because apparently the school isn't allowed to give you a reference once you've left. I'm pretty sure that's some b******t though.
call those places up and ask why they didn't choose you, so rude of them to not even email back. There are some jobs that do not ask for references for example mcdonald's don't i think ,although i'm not sure if u wanna work there.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Give the School's contact details as the central administrative office. Other than that, you must know some adult who isn't a family member, who holds down a job? Ask them. Sports coach, faith leader, probation officer, Youth club leader, old lady you help cross the road sometimes....

You should only offer references when asked, so don't not apply for jobs for want of references unless there is an online application form you can't submit without completing reference details - which is very rare. Apply and sort out the reference issue when they've offered you the job.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, id email/phone the school again. There must be an old head of year or someone who can give you a reference. And yes, they can give you a reference once you have left.
And yeah, id still try to find some volunteering.
Do you have any family friends who could give you a reference?
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
call those places up and ask why they didn't choose you, so rude of them to not even email back. There are some jobs that do not ask for references for example mcdonald's don't i think ,although i'm not sure if u wanna work there.
Mcdonalds do ask for references actually. They still did last time i checked anyway.
And its not that bad working there.
username1333513
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Mcdonalds do ask for references actually. They still did last time i checked anyway.
And its not that bad working there.
i just got a job there and they didn't ask, that's why i was saying they don't ask so
maybe OP could apply there. Did i say something to suggest it was bad working there?
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i just got a job there and they didn't ask, that's why i was saying they don't ask so
maybe OP could apply there. Did i say something to suggest it was bad working there?
Thats strange- in the just over 9 years i worked there (i left about 3 weeks ago) they always asked for references.
And you didnt say anything specific- it sound sounded in the end of your post like it wasnt a great place to work, thats all.
username1333513
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Thats strange- in the just over 9 years i worked there (i left about 3 weeks ago) they always asked for references.
And you didnt say anything specific- it sound sounded in the end of your post like it wasnt a great place to work, thats all.
i'm not sure, when do they usually ask for references bc i haven't been asked yet. I still haven't had my welcome meeting so maybe i'll get asked st that point?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
7.69%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.77%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
46.15%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (12)
23.08%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise