The Student Room Group

Should I get a remark for Pride's Sake?

I got ABBC. Dropped to a B in geography but five marks off an A. I'd much prefer to have AABC, it wouldn't make a difference as I am going to Birmingham anyway but what do you guys think?
You can contribute to my remark if you want :biggrin: , if my mark goes up I'll send you your 2 and 5p's back.
I was about to go to college and get a remark yesterday but then my mother accused me of being arrogant, it really hit home, so maybe I'll do it behind her back :frown: .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I missed a B in A level ICT by 1 mark. 1 MARK!

I also missed an AA in AVCE Business Studies by 2 marks.

My parents want me to get a remark and don't think about arrogance strangely enough, but I don't because there is a chance that the marks could go down if they spot more mistakes so it's better safe than potentially sorry. Remember, they aren't just looking for mistakes made in their marking, but they will and will take action on anything else you've spotted (you may have some mistakes which went over their head! :biggrin: ).

Well I got into my first choice uni (Brunel)...
Reply 2
Yea but if you're nearly at the next grade it would take a hell of a lot of hidden mistakes to bring you DOWN a grade. Id say go for it, as theres nothing to lose (well a bit of money but not that much).
Reply 3
emma_
Yea but if you're nearly at the next grade it would take a hell of a lot of hidden mistakes to bring you DOWN a grade. Id say go for it, as theres nothing to lose (well a bit of money but not that much).

I know of people who have been 1 mark of a B and had a remark only to go down to a D though! :eek:
Reply 4
Chubb
I know of people who have been 1 mark of a B and had a remark only to go down to a D though! :eek:

Well that makes my mind up then! :biggrin:

I forgot to say, if you're at the high end of a grade boundary then you may lose a few marks, but will likely keep the same grade. :smile:
hey people

i got ABBB - but two of the Bs were 478 and 479 - and i swear i smacked one of the chemistry papers as i got 96% in the practical and smacked the final paper, only to get 87/120

i got into kings to do medicine - but for my own pride i am getting my papers remarked. Its unlikely that they will drop me 60 marks to drop a grade - so what the hell !!!
Reply 6
I got 475 in Geography in total. I felt my coursework was good enough and also my exam essay, I also got 108/120 on the synoptic so I know I'm no novice in my geography.
why not? makes a one letter difference, separates you from here and there, ight help later on in life. who konws? i say bag it in, just incase.
BigJohn
I got ABBC. Dropped to a B in geography but five marks off an A. I'd much prefer to have AABC, it wouldn't make a difference as I am going to Birmingham anyway but what do you guys think?
You can contribute to my remark if you want :biggrin: , if my mark goes up I'll send you your 2 and 5p's back.
I was about to go to college and get a remark yesterday but then my mother accused me of being arrogant, it really hit home, so maybe I'll do it behind her back :frown: .

After hearing the risk of marks actually going down and that it's rare for grades to change I've decided against re-marking. Plus there's the extra charge if nothing changes so you'll never be able to send out 5ps back!
Reply 9
I got one of my Psychology papers remarked last year - I didnt need to as I'd still got my place, however I was highly suspicious mainly because I'd got all A's in every module I'd taken across both AS and A level psychology - except for this paper - in which I'd been awarded a low E. Something didn't seem right - especially as it was the paper I'd revised the most for and felt had gone best of all of them. So I had it remarked - and it went up to an A :rolleyes: :cool:

However - I wouldn't neccessarily say it was worth it in your case - seeing as it is unlikely that there has been a huge problem with the marking of the paper - whereas it was pretty obvious that there had been with mine. But then again - if you want to - then go ahead, just bear in mind it can always go down. I didn't care if they marked mine down because even if they had given me 0 for my remark I'd still have had a B overall. :tongue:
Reply 10
I got ACC and missed a B in Chemistry by 8 marks and a B in Maths by 5 marks. That's a total of THIRTEEN marks! How unlucky! Therefore, SOAS didn't consider me in Clearing and I was so desperate to go there. King's also rejected me for Maths, my firm choice but offered me a place at Computer Science so it ain't all bad. I don't think I'm gonna bother getting a remark because SOAS are full up now and I also missed out on ABBC by a few marks last year as well and got ACCC instead. I guess life is cruel.
Reply 11
In A-level Media Studies, I missed out on a C by just 2 UMS points. This was over a year ago and I still feel bitter about it. When I asked my teacher for a remark, she said "no". Her exact words were, "you got your place at university, why would you want a remark?" I explained to her how I had got below a C in all my GCSEs and that it was important to me that I achieved a C grade in an A-level. She was persistent though and kept saying no. I didn't want an argument, so I accepted the D and tried to forget it. A year later, I still regret not making a big thing out of it. Even if the D had gone further down, at least I would have tried.

I think you should try and get a remark. :smile:
Would you recommend that I get this module remarked:

MOD1 82/100
MOD2 75/100
MOD3 80/100
MOD4 90/90
MOD5 65/120 <-- THIS MODULE?
MOD6 77/90

I only need 11UMS to get me up a grade.
Reply 13
Thats it it's been playing on my mind since Thursday, I'm definitely going to get that paper re-marked. It can't go down a grade anyway so at least I can tell myself I've tried.
Reply 14
Surfing Hamster
Would you recommend that I get this module remarked:

MOD1 82/100
MOD2 75/100
MOD3 80/100
MOD4 90/90
MOD5 65/120 <-- THIS MODULE?
MOD6 77/90

I only need 11UMS to get me up a grade.

11 UMS is quite a lot to go up isn't it?
Reply 15
Ellie4
11 UMS is quite a lot to go up isn't it?

That's what I was thinking...also what subject is it?
Pegasus
That's what I was thinking...also what subject is it?

It is a lot to go up, but the I want to make sure the second script that I wrote was marked - I completed the first one only to start from the back of the other, proceeding backwards through it. And I just want to make sure it was marked. :confused:

Anyway, the date for remarks has passed now, hasn't it?
I really want a remark too.

I got 2 100%s for History and a 57% for another module. My classmate got Bs for the same 2, and an E for the other one. It's really annoying!! I found the paper easy... and I'm decent at history. Not a D student.

But then again, it's best to leave it all behind eh?
lilsunflower
I really want a remark too.

I got 2 100%s for History and a 57% for another module. My classmate got Bs for the same 2, and an E for the other one. It's really annoying!! I found the paper easy... and I'm decent at history. Not a D student.

But then again, it's best to leave it all behind eh?

I really want a re-mark for Psychology and English, for the former I was 1 mark off an A and the latter only 3 marks, however, I feel the risks are too great. Edexcel tends to mark you down rather than change your grade. I think that would probably be the same for most exam boards. Most won’t like admitting having made a mistake. If you're willing to take that risk, have nothing to lose (i.e. university place not put at any risk) then go ahead. The alternative to a re-mark is a re-check, which only costs £10, your exam paper is checked over again to make sure everything’s been added correctly and nothings been missed, with no extra charge.
GSS
I missed a B in A level ICT by 1 mark. 1 MARK!

I also missed an AA in AVCE Business Studies by 2 marks.

My parents want me to get a remark and don't think about arrogance strangely enough, but I don't because there is a chance that the marks could go down if they spot more mistakes so it's better safe than potentially sorry. Remember, they aren't just looking for mistakes made in their marking, but they will and will take action on anything else you've spotted (you may have some mistakes which went over their head! :biggrin: ).

Well I got into my first choice uni (Brunel)...

I missed A level physics by two and AS politics by the same amount.

Latest

Trending

Trending