dbrownbeast
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,
I haven't been on TSR for a while so please move if its not in the right place.

So, everything that could have went wrong, has gone wrong. Its now May and i do not have any work experience or volunteering.
I have been working in a grocer/butchery since last august if that helps at all

Currently, applying to another hospital for work experience in the summer, which looks bright, but volunteering at that hospital will take 3 months to process DBS checks etc. Also contacted old school to see if i can volunteer there for a little while.

I have however found part time, paid work at a carehome, but i will be a 'receptionist'. Do medical school like this kind of work experience? That is my first question. My second question is, do i stand a chance at all to apply for medicine the coming october.

Thanks all
ax12
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dbrownbeast)
Hi all,

So, everything that could have went wrong, has gone wrong. Its now May and i do not have any work experience or volunteering.

Currently, applying to another hospital for work experience in the summer, which looks bright, but volunteering at that hospital will take 3 months to process DBS checks etc. Also contacted old school to see if i can volunteer there for a little while.

I have however found part time, paid work at a carehome, but i will be a 'receptionist'. Do medical school like this kind of work experience? That is my first question. My second question is, do i stand a chance at all to apply for medicine the coming october.

Thanks all
Yes, definitely apply. Spin any work experience that you have towards how it is helping you to develop skills that will help you in medical school/being a doctor. You'll clearly have a lot of people-orientated work which is good.

You can also make sure that you apply to less personal statement orientated universities if you don't think that your personal statement will be particularly competitive. Leicester don't look at your personal statement at all, and some use it as barely any of their criteria.

Even if you aren't successful in this round of applications, it's worth going for it. You'll get experience of the application process and feedback on your applications which will help you if you then decide to apply next year.
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dbrownbeast)
Hi all,

Thanks all
Hi there!

Many medical schools know that gaining work experience in a medical setting is very hard, so don't worry! Experience in a non-healthcare setting that you can apply to medicine will be good too - although it's important to note that different medical schools have different requirements for work experience, so check these in advance before you apply to strengthen your chances!

You can see the different kinds of work experience each UK medical school looks for on our Medicine School Requirements: Medicine Work Experience page.

Our best advice would be to make the most of your non-medical experience and transfer your skills to medicine - making sure you focus on developing skills like teamwork, communication and empathy. Keep a note of how you have used these skills during your experiences and how they translate to medicine. These can easily be developed in volunteering roles, so perhaps ask the care home if you could volunteer with the elderly too.

If you do manage to get your hospital work experience sorted, then all the better - you can then put this in your personal statement before you submit your UCAS application.

We also have a section on Work Experience here, which you might find useful - it has advice on making the most of your experience and how to gain different types of placements.

Good luck!

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.85%
Okay (97)
28.96%
A bit lacking (122)
36.42%
Not good at all (83)
24.78%

Watched Threads