The Student Room Group

Please help me. Please.

I have a question, for anyone who will answer it.

I am in this huge dilemma because as the years have progressed, I am finding myself more and more attracted to Sociology/anthropology.

But I just completed my A-level exams in three science subjects and maths. I did not opt for any essay-based subjects, as I am Indian who studied A2 in India, and we only had science in our school. When I was supposed to be studying Physics, I'd find myself reading about griots in Africa, or the caste systems in India.

I am panicking, because I may have potentially ruined the rest of my life, and because of my subject choices, I won't be able to do the subject I really want to do.

I want to apply to Newcastle for Sociology, but I'm so afraid that my subject choices will put me at a major disadvantage, and no university will want me to join their humanities course. Please help me........I can't see myself studying anything but sociology/anthropology.
Original post by fandom-queen

I am in this huge dilemma because as the years have progressed, I am finding myself more and more attracted to Sociology/anthropology.

But I just completed my A-level exams in three science subjects and maths. I did not opt for any essay-based subjects, as I am Indian who studied A2 in India, and we only had science in our school. When I was supposed to be studying Physics, I'd find myself reading about griots in Africa, or the caste systems in India.

I am panicking, because I may have potentially ruined the rest of my life, and because of my subject choices, I won't be able to do the subject I really want to do.

I want to apply to Newcastle for Sociology, but I'm so afraid that my subject choices will put me at a major disadvantage, and no university will want me to join their humanities course. Please help me........I can't see myself studying anything but sociology/anthropology.

Don't be afraid, the uni doesn't seem to be particular about subjects - the key is being able to demonstrate an interest in sociology. Be it through books, online lectures, work experience etc.

If all else fails you can apply for a foundation year which doesn't require specific subjects anyway. Newcastle doesn't offer this but other unis do, and you can switch unis I believe after your foundation year.

Also b careful of this being a grass greener on the other side situation, history/sociology can be fun as a hobby but studying it is different - same can be said for any subject. So be prepared :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by fandom-queen

Hey man, I remember talking to you a few months ago about St Andrews!

I forgot if you have an offer from them but if you do, you could take 3 subjects in your first year and social anthropology could be one of those subjects. You can do this even if your offer is from a science subject I believe. Then you can drop the science subject in your second year I think. (Of course this is if you haven't made your university choice :/)

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest