Geography A
    Technonlogy A
    RE B
    French C

AS Levels:

English Lit A
    Biology A
    Chemistry A

And say I make a really amazin personal statement do you think Id have a chance?

ReputationRep:
    ofcourse they're great grades

have you actually got them yet?

ReputationRep:
    don't see why not.

however, some medical schools specify 3A2s & 1 AS needed..so you'd have to check this. & any particular reason why you only did 3..? it may be queried.

otherwise, as long as you have above Bs in English & Maths at GCSE & predicted above AAB then you should meet most acaedmic requirements. so it's your PS & work experience, ECs & interview technique that are now important..

HTH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stern_blues)
    ofcourse they're great grades

have you actually got them yet?
    Yea thats all my grades so far. I did 3 AS'S as I went to a high school at 13 and was placed in the bottom class but decided to fight my way to the top so my dip in GCSE'S are due to being at a high school where I couldnt really work. I got into a grammar school last year and did my AS's. Only did 3 as I wasnt confident enough but I got really good scores too and am shocked!

I also came 1st in Northern Ireland in the st john ambulance first aid finals last year. Surley that would be good for the PS?

ReputationRep:
    There's a chance - you meet the minimum requirements, though as Elles said, only doing 3 ASs seems a bit odd, and you don't have that many GCSEs either. You need to make sure you stand out in everything, as everyone will be brilliant on paper.

ReputationRep:
    That should be ok. Look at which unis you want and there requirements. If your still not sure call up admissions and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny2256)
    And say I make a really amazin personal statement do you think Id have a chance?
    looks like you've got a great chance to me. to stand the best chance if i was in your position i'd probably pick up an extra AS-level in year 13 - as most med applicants these days have 4 AS and 3 A2.

however, this is not essential and if you're school discourages 4 AS in year 12 then just get your referee to write it in the teacher's statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    looks like you've got a great chance to me. to stand the best chance if i was in your position i'd probably pick up an extra AS-level in year 13 - as most med applicants these days have 4 AS and 3 A2.
    Yes I mite do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    There's a chance - you meet the minimum requirements, though as Elles said, only doing 3 ASs seems a bit odd, and you don't have that many GCSEs either. You need to make sure you stand out in everything, as everyone will be brilliant on paper.
    this summer is going way too quickly. i just tripped over an anatomy book, which was gentle reminder that the work will kick in again soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny2256)
    Yes I mite do that
    well done on the st. johns. that'll certainly impress. don't forget your standard hospital/nursing home/hospice work experience as well. also, don't let your grades slip down to any Bs

ReputationRep:
    well done on the st. johns. that'll certainly impress. don't forget your standard hospital/nursing home/hospice work experience as well. also, don't let your grades slip down to any Bs
    NO more B's lol! Im gonna work my ass off. Just afraid of bein rejected from everywhere and endin up with nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Providing your PS is top notch, you shouldn't be at that much of a disadvantage for not having as many grades.
    You'll need to check entrance requirements very carefully as some uni's specify a minimum of 6 or 7 A's at GCSE. I think you really should try and pick up another AS, even if you do it at nightschool.

ReputationRep:
    this summer is going way too quickly. i just tripped over an anatomy book, which was gentle reminder that the work will kick in again soon!
    I actually got out my dissection manual the other day, to explain something or other (I think it was about resorption of tooth sockets if the tooth comes out), ended up spending about 2 hours flicking through it going "oh my god, I don't remember that! :eek: "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    Providing your PS is top notch, you shouldn't be at that much of a disadvantage for not having as many grades.
    You'll need to check entrance requirements very carefully as some uni's specify a minimum of 6 or 7 A's at GCSE. I think you really should try and pick up another AS, even if you do it at nightschool.
    i think that notts asked for a minimum of 6As and an "A" grade in a-level chemistry, as well as 4 AS levels (i had notts as insurance as i didn't fancy travelling all the way up there - absolutely loved the place though, met some really great people at interview). the extra online application form caused me nights of worry!

ReputationRep:
    I actually got out my dissection manual the other day, to explain something or other (I think it was about resorption of tooth sockets if the tooth comes out), ended up spending about 2 hours flicking through it going "oh my god, I don't remember that! :eek: "
    i don't remember anything. nerve root values and dermatones have especially gone out the window.

ReputationRep:
    who cares about 3 ASs? 3As is about as gd as you can get

ReputationRep:
    i don't remember anything. nerve root values and dermatones have especially gone out the window.
    :eek: I am scared now it all sounds really complicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    who cares about 3 ASs? 3As is about as gd as you can get
    4 As, lol? it's not a case about caring, it's that quite a few med schools specify 4ASs as an entry requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    :eek: I am scared now it all sounds really complicated.
    yep, that sounds just about right

ReputationRep:
    4 As, lol? it's not a case about caring, it's that quite a few med schools specify 4ASs as an entry requirement.
    but that 4th As, they dont have a grade requirement surely?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.