Turn on thread page Beta

Could I get an offer for medicine with these GCSE'S and As's? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    but that 4th As, they dont have a grade requirement surely?
    Many of the places that I looked at asked for a Pass in an AS level.

ReputationRep:
    Only some uni's do. Im looking now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Many of the places that I looked at asked for a Pass in an AS level.
    ok, but cant he/she do it in January? An E in as is not hard to get.

ReputationRep:
    from bristol uni's medical admissions:

"The grades achieved in a 4th AS-Level may influence whether a candidate receives an offer."

not essential, but an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    from bristol uni's medical admissions:

"The grades achieved in a 4th AS-Level may influence whether a candidate receives an offer."

not essential, but an advantage.
    Damn it. The same for Glasgow too I see.

ReputationRep:
    ok, but cant he/she do it in January? An E in as is not hard to get.
    But it won't look good. If you are going to do an AS level you should do it well.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton looks good. They have a 6 year course with year 0 for sutdents with a less appropriate combination of subjects.The Widening Access to Medicine Scheme: BM/MedF A102

"This is a six year route into the University of Southampton School of Medicine that aims to widen access into the medical profession. It is therefore aimed at pupils and students who have the potential to study medicine but may not have had the opportunity at school to fulfil that potential, or may come from backgrounds where there is a lack of experience of higher education. It involves studying for an extra year on a Level 0 Medicine programme. If students pass the Level 0 Medicine they are guaranteed a place on the Bachelor of Medicine Degree."

ReputationRep:
    Yes. My Southamptom offer (I think) specified AABb, even though I'd already got As in all my ASs the year before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yes. My Southamptom offer (I think) specified AABb, even though I'd already got As in all my ASs the year before.
    sure, but the offical requirements:

* Grades/points: AABe/360 (340 pts to be from 3 AL subjects)

so it doesn't really matter what grade you get for your fourth as.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to think Notts has reinstated the requirement for A's in Bio and Chem at A2. I did the old alevel system, and AAB with A's in Bio and Chem was then standard offer in those days.

I'm not too bad on dermatomes, but ask me about detailed anatomy and I haven't the faintest idea. I can't even remember the names of many nerves, nevermind their root values... oh, and to think in less than 18months i'll (hopefully) have qualified... very scary indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham....

Minimum Academic Requirements
    GCSE’s
    Minimum of 6 Grade A's to include Chemistry, Biology and Physics (or integrated sciences)
    Grade A at AS Level Physics can compensate for achieving grade B at GCSE
    Minimum of grade B in Maths and English Language
    A-levels (and equivalent examinations, see (c) below):

We require grades AAB, in Chemistry, Biology (or Human Biology) and a third subject (excluding only General Studies) at A Level (A2). Chemistry and Biology must be passed at grade A. Taking a fourth A Level will not increase your chances of being offered a place at this medical school.

ReputationRep:
    Sarky is starting the 6yr Soton Course in Sept

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    I seem to think Notts has reinstated the requirement for A's in Bio and Chem at A2. I did the old alevel system, and AAB with A's in Bio and Chem was then standard offer in those days.

I'm not too bad on dermatomes, but ask me about detailed anatomy and I haven't the faintest idea. I can't even remember the names of many nerves, nevermind their root values... oh, and to think in less than 18months i'll (hopefully) have qualified... very scary indeed.
    Yeah, that's what my offer was. And the best way to remember dermatomes is the dermatome dance! One of the senior anatomy lecturers taught it to us, it's great But I doubt really that many patients will be brought into you going "So, you're a doctor then? What's the root value of the sciatic nerve? :mad: "

The Wolf - no matter what the official requirements are, getting an A is always going to be better than getting an E. For medicine the competition is HOT and you need to do the best you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny2256)
    Maths A*
    Eng lang A
    DA Science BB
    Geography A
    Technonlogy A
    RE B
    French C

AS Levels:

English Lit A
    Biology A
    Chemistry A

And say I make a really amazin personal statement do you think Id have a chance?
    soz I don't think you can. 8 GCSEs? and I think u need atleast 4ASs

ReputationRep:
    Wrong subforum

ReputationRep:
    nope, sorry mate, you dont stand a chance

ReputationRep:
    Maths A*
    Eng lang A
    DA Science BB
    Geography A
    Technonlogy A
    RE B
    French C

AS Levels:

English Lit A
    Biology A
    Chemistry A

And say I make a really amazin personal statement do you think Id have a chance?
    No. You should do maths or physics AS and not English Lit as well.

ReputationRep:
    Maths A*
    Eng lang A
    DA Science BB
    Geography A
    Technonlogy A
    RE B
    French C

AS Levels:

English Lit A
    Biology A
    Chemistry A

No. You should do maths or physics AS and not English Lit as well. Then continue the three sciences to A2.

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping that is okay as I only have 9 gcses and want to do medicine, do you think thats a problem because thats all we were allowed to do, i got 3 A*s and 6 As, also a gnvq in ICT. i did take 4 ASs tho, 5 if you include the worthless general studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer86)
    Im hoping that is okay as I only have 9 gcses and want to do medicine, do you think thats a problem because thats all we were allowed to do, i got 3 A*s and 6 As, also a gnvq in ICT.
    Nope. 8+ is cool and you have decent grades.
    i did take 4 ASs tho, 5 if you include the worthless general studies.
    I do GS myself, and I know that it would appear to be a bit of a piss take and a waste of time - but it is fairly useful if you do well in it.

Besides, several potential medics in my year have told me that Birmingham (et al) either:

a) won't look at them
    b) will take a dim view

- if they have taken GS and got less than an A.

So it's not utterly useless - even if it may be discounted from your initial* offer.

*It might come into play if you narrowly miss the terms of the offer - although, granted, for Medicine this is probably a nonstarter.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.