The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mobbdeeprob
I do GS myself, and I know that it would appear to be a bit of a piss take and a waste of time - but it is.

Mickey Mouse subject :tongue:
Reply 41
Cheers mobbdeeprob :smile:
NDGAARONDI
Mickey Mouse subject :tongue:

Agreed - but I suppose fallback comes in the shape of three 'respected' subjects and Geography. :rolleyes:
Oh, and might I add, you would be pleasantly surprised at the number of semi-literate, potential medics who fall down on General Studies (and pick up their only B/C/D/or even E)! :biggrin:
mobbdeeprob
Agreed - but I suppose fallback comes in the shape of three 'respected' subjects and Geography. :rolleyes:

Geography is respected for law isn't it? I didn't see it on the black list from LSE last time I looked.
NDGAARONDI
Geography is respected for law isn't it? I didn't see it on the black list from LSE last time I looked.

My [warped] humour is lost on some... Where's timeofyourlife when you need him? :wink:
mobbdeeprob
My [warped] humour is lost on some... Where's timeofyourlife when you need him? :wink:

Now I don't understand, unless you're both studying geography.
Reply 47
mobbdeeprob
Oh, and might I add, you would be pleasantly surprised at the number of semi-literate, potential medics who fall down on General Studies (and pick up their only B/C/D/or even E)! :biggrin:

hehe! Fall down isn't quite the word but I got a D on my A2 GS, a C overall :tongue:
Daveo
hehe! Fall down isn't quite the word but I got a D on my A2 GS, a C overall :tongue:

You didn't need to tell me that Dave, it was presumed. Does it feel like a weight off your shoulders (having a halfbaked grasp of the English language)? :smile:
Reply 49
mobbdeeprob
You didn't need to tell me that Dave, it was presumed. Does it feel like a weight off your shoulders (having a halfbaked grasp of the English language)? :smile:

I was dissapointed that I didn't fail!!! I completely took the piss out of the whole thing.
Reply 50
joyabbott
Sarky is starting the 6yr Soton Course in Sept

Wooo hooooooooo!

Sorry.

(And its actually October :biggrin: )
Daveo
I was dissapointed that I didn't fail!!! I completely took the piss out of the whole thing.

Writing an extended essay on "Why Dizzee Rascal is a genius" and trying your level best to appear as a chauvinist pig throughout - is what I regard as taking the piss. It got me 100/100 on the political-socio-economic paper. :smile:
Reply 52
mobbdeeprob

:mad:
Reply 53
Invisible
Notice what his lowest UMS score was, me thinks he's bitter. :tongue:

Yeah... And I can manage a 300 in econ but only 240 in geog... just shows it isn't as easy as people think :biggrin:
Reply 54
mobbdeeprob
Writing an extended essay on "Why Dizzee Rascal is a genius" and trying your level best to appear as a chauvinist pig throughout - is what I regard as taking the piss. It got me 100/100 on the political-socio-economic paper. :smile:

So thats why writing "only smarties have the answer" numerous times in my essays didn't get me full marks :rolleyes: :tongue:
Reply 55
Invisible
I always thought it had similar respectability to history, I never knew any differences really.

Rob's just jealous :biggrin:
Invisible
Rob, how useful is General Studies, presuming you've taken it? e.g.) Consider if you were applying to Oxford as well...

Is it helpful?

I've had a range of comments so far, from "absolutely useless" to "important".

I reckon both are exaggerations, but what's the truth?

I'm not the admissions tutor, and I haven't got any second hand gossip to pass on in regards to this, but this is what I'd think:

For Oxbridge - GS is nothing to write home about really. If you've taken it seriously and done well, it could be a miniscule filip - nothing more.

It will be most useful for people looking to blag their way onto courses, after narrowly missing the grades offer. Not really at Oxbridge though - and not really for the seriously uber-subscribed subjects (at any top institution).

Having said that, 5As is better than 3As - but then they don't ask for more than 4As at AS - and (considering that grades/statements/references will be outstanding for virtually everybody) the interview/proprietary test results (and someway behind this, perhaps, UMS) will surely be King.
Reply 57
Invisible
Why is it though, that many people with AAAA then got a C or something in General Studies?

I don't understand it, seems weird.

My results :tongue: AAAA C

In my opinion it is because all the people who are intelligent but not too bothered with work dont give a **** about GS, therefore they don't try at all and therefore get a C, I could have got an A if i'd put an ounce of effor into it but I just could not be bothered.
Invisible
HAHA, I know, on the genius one I didn't talk about a musician or artist either, some random person I think! :biggrin:

And of course, a nice 100/100. :cool:

If a mildy empowered female ever saw my script - she would probably slap me! :biggrin:
I did my best to be obnoxious in the sexual issues thing (i.e. a few silly girls willfully getting their kit off for the Civil Service calendar - and a big issue being caused over 'sexism', I mean WTF?)!

Luckily an old man must have marked my script. :smile:
Daveo
I could have got an A if i'd put an ounce of effor into it but I just could not be bothered.

"Coulda, shoulda, woulda are the last words of a fool" (a.k.a Daveo the semi-literate medic). :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending