Turn on thread page Beta

Could I get an offer for medicine with these GCSE'S and As's? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I do GS myself, and I know that it would appear to be a bit of a piss take and a waste of time - but it is.
    Mickey Mouse subject

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mobbdeeprob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Mickey Mouse subject
    Agreed - but I suppose fallback comes in the shape of three 'respected' subjects and Geography. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and might I add, you would be pleasantly surprised at the number of semi-literate, potential medics who fall down on General Studies (and pick up their only B/C/D/or even E)!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed - but I suppose fallback comes in the shape of three 'respected' subjects and Geography. :rolleyes:
    Geography is respected for law isn't it? I didn't see it on the black list from LSE last time I looked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Geography is respected for law isn't it? I didn't see it on the black list from LSE last time I looked.
    My [warped] humour is lost on some... Where's timeofyourlife when you need him?

ReputationRep:
    My [warped] humour is lost on some... Where's timeofyourlife when you need him?
    Now I don't understand, unless you're both studying geography.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and might I add, you would be pleasantly surprised at the number of semi-literate, potential medics who fall down on General Studies (and pick up their only B/C/D/or even E)!
    hehe! Fall down isn't quite the word but I got a D on my A2 GS, a C overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    hehe! Fall down isn't quite the word but I got a D on my A2 GS, a C overall
    You didn't need to tell me that Dave, it was presumed. Does it feel like a weight off your shoulders (having a halfbaked grasp of the English language)?

ReputationRep:
    You didn't need to tell me that Dave, it was presumed. Does it feel like a weight off your shoulders (having a halfbaked grasp of the English language)?
    I was dissapointed that I didn't fail!!! I completely took the piss out of the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    Sarky is starting the 6yr Soton Course in Sept

Wooo hooooooooo!

Sorry.

(And its actually October )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I was dissapointed that I didn't fail!!! I completely took the piss out of the whole thing.
    Writing an extended essay on "Why Dizzee Rascal is a genius" and trying your level best to appear as a chauvinist pig throughout - is what I regard as taking the piss. It got me 100/100 on the political-socio-economic paper.

ReputationRep:
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Notice what his lowest UMS score was, me thinks he's bitter.
    Yeah... And I can manage a 300 in econ but only 240 in geog... just shows it isn't as easy as people think

ReputationRep:
    Writing an extended essay on "Why Dizzee Rascal is a genius" and trying your level best to appear as a chauvinist pig throughout - is what I regard as taking the piss. It got me 100/100 on the political-socio-economic paper.
    So thats why writing "only smarties have the answer" numerous times in my essays didn't get me full marks :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I always thought it had similar respectability to history, I never knew any differences really.
    Rob's just jealous

ReputationRep:
    Rob, how useful is General Studies, presuming you've taken it? e.g.) Consider if you were applying to Oxford as well...

Is it helpful?

I've had a range of comments so far, from "absolutely useless" to "important".

I reckon both are exaggerations, but what's the truth?
    I'm not the admissions tutor, and I haven't got any second hand gossip to pass on in regards to this, but this is what I'd think:

For Oxbridge - GS is nothing to write home about really. If you've taken it seriously and done well, it could be a miniscule filip - nothing more.

It will be most useful for people looking to blag their way onto courses, after narrowly missing the grades offer. Not really at Oxbridge though - and not really for the seriously uber-subscribed subjects (at any top institution).

Having said that, 5As is better than 3As - but then they don't ask for more than 4As at AS - and (considering that grades/statements/references will be outstanding for virtually everybody) the interview/proprietary test results (and someway behind this, perhaps, UMS) will surely be King.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it though, that many people with AAAA then got a C or something in General Studies?

I don't understand it, seems weird.
    My results AAAA C

In my opinion it is because all the people who are intelligent but not too bothered with work dont give a **** about GS, therefore they don't try at all and therefore get a C, I could have got an A if i'd put an ounce of effor into it but I just could not be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA, I know, on the genius one I didn't talk about a musician or artist either, some random person I think!

And of course, a nice 100/100. :cool:
    If a mildy empowered female ever saw my script - she would probably slap me!
    I did my best to be obnoxious in the sexual issues thing (i.e. a few silly girls willfully getting their kit off for the Civil Service calendar - and a big issue being caused over 'sexism', I mean WTF?)!

Luckily an old man must have marked my script.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I could have got an A if i'd put an ounce of effor into it but I just could not be bothered.
    "Coulda, shoulda, woulda are the last words of a fool" (a.k.a Daveo the semi-literate medic).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.