badgersdontvote
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,
I am currently having problems with AQA classic civ, I am doing Unit 01A (Greek Architecture and Sculpture) and Unit 02B (The Odyssey) and I have a real problem managing the exams. Firstly I feel I have no problem knowing the content at all. My problem is in my essay writing. Class civ is my only essay subject and the gist of the feedback I get on my essays are that the knowledge is there it is simply not presented in a truly academy/argumentative style, my essays tend to be more informal and chatty. Will this truly hinder my hopes of getting an A as I intend to drop the subject at the end of the year? And is there any tips that you can give in regards to sprucing up my essays a bit to make them sound more formal and academic?
Thanks All,
Callum
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by badgersdontvote)
Hi all,
I am currently having problems with AQA classic civ, I am doing Unit 01A (Greek Architecture and Sculpture) and Unit 02B (The Odyssey) and I have a real problem managing the exams. Firstly I feel I have no problem knowing the content at all. My problem is in my essay writing. Class civ is my only essay subject and the gist of the feedback I get on my essays are that the knowledge is there it is simply not presented in a truly academy/argumentative style, my essays tend to be more informal and chatty. Will this truly hinder my hopes of getting an A as I intend to drop the subject at the end of the year? And is there any tips that you can give in regards to sprucing up my essays a bit to make them sound more formal and academic?
Thanks All,
Callum
It sounds pretty fundamental. Being chatty and informal rather than rational and objective gives me the impression you do not present your answer in a rational and serious manner. It just sounds like it will be taken less seriously because you come across as not taking it seriously yourself.

Plan your essay.
Look at how you present arguments. One idea , then back it up with proof/ evidence in a way that answers the question.

If each paragraph contains say 3-5 relevant points and that builds with other paragraphs then eventually you have a constructed argument.

Do practice papers, look at model answers and see how yours differ. You cna also look at some basi guies on how to write an essay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads